Location: Preferred East Coast USA, Europe
The Head of Portfolio Services will be a key executive on the executive leadership team at Techstars, reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. By supporting entrepreneurs at every stage of their journey, we work to create positive social and economic change, transforming the world by making innovation accessible to anyone, anywhere. The accelerator programs, while a critical part of our support to entrepreneurs, are just the first step in providing connections, mentorship, and opportunity to the hundreds of companies that join Techstars each year. Upon graduation from the accelerator, founders have new needs and goals. This Executive will play a critical leadership role in establishing our new Portfolio Services department and strategy to support those alumni founders.
Techstars currently has more than 6,000 founders comprising over 2,500 companies. The Executive in this role will deliver a global portfolio services strategy. There will be special emphasis on leveraging the Techstars network, technology, and data as strategic assets in designing and delivering portfolio services at scale. This Executive will work in partnership with Engineering and Operations to ensure the software solutions (e.g. Network platform) and data strategy are aligned with the service strategy to support startups throughout their journey.
This Executive is responsible for defining the strategy, designing and rolling out the services outlined, and operating these services. With an expectation to add an exponential amount of companies to our portfolio over the next five years, Techstars now needs a dedicated department to support portfolio companies through later stages of growth and further strengthen the Give First value proposition.
- Support post-accelerator portfolio companies and help them be more successful by delivering a variety of services that strengthen market position, support growth and scale, implementation of leading practices. This will be accomplished, in part, by strengthening the systems and information platform for accessing the network across the different participants of the network that includes VCs, mentors, innovation partners, and media.
- Establish strong relationships with portfolio company management teams
- Make “Techstars for Life” a reality for portfolio companies
- Support annual events such as Foundercon for accelerator graduates
- Lead current team of 11 Techstars employees
- Positive increase to the NPS scores for our Portfolio companies
- Dramatically increase the percentage of portfolio companies actively engaged in the services
- Ensure up to date and accurate information about portfolio companies, particularly the data elements we need for investment decisions, valuations, etc.
- Improve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) across portfolio companies
Services Operations Experience
- Experienced operator with a proven track record of scaling a service organization obsessed with their customers using tech products, ops, customer journey, talent, finance, etc.
- Experience building and operating networks powered by technology
- Product management
- Highly data driven, has exposure to the discipline of network science, and will partner with Engineering to explore using data science / machine learning to do things like:
- Systematically diagnose and / or assess what types of support companies might need at each stage - so we can offer more targeted and timely solutions.
- Assess and improve the short and long term health / effectiveness of the Techstars network
- Help companies improve their competitive position
Global Strategic Experience
- Strategic mind capable of thinking 10 years ahead and developing the roadmap to get there
- Track record of building global networks
- Experience working in a multicultural and decentralized environment
Give First Mentality
- Experience as a founder and / or as a mentor to founders is a strong plus
Compensation range: $250,000-$300,000 Base Salary + Bonus and Equity
Range based on New York City, NY location.
About the company
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Founded in 2006, Techstars began with three simple ideas - entrepreneurs create a better future for everyone, collaboration drives innovation and great ideas can come from anywhere. Now we are on a mission to enable every person on the planet to contribute to, and benefit from, the success of entrepreneurs. In addition to operating accelerator programs and venture capital funds, we do this by connecting startups, investors, corporations and cities to help build thriving startup communities. Techstars has invested in more than 2,300 companies with a combined market cap of more than $193B.
Techstars’ mission is to help entrepreneurs succeed wherever they are in the world and whatever their background is. Regional accelerator programs all around the world are the cornerstone of the strategy. The investment approach is fundamentally driven by the worldwide network of managing directors, who interact with startup founders daily, guiding, mentoring and cultivating them along the journey. The scale of this reach results in a diversified strategy that provides investors with a uniquely qualified deal flow.
We help Techstars founders connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporations to grow their companies.
For more information please see: www.techstars.com
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.