Target Start Date: January 4, 2020 (with potential for ad hoc projects earlier)
Target End Date: April 22, 2021
Location: New York, New York
As an Associate you will help build the next amazing batch of startups, as they grow from early stage to venture-backed companies. From entrepreneurs, to investors, to mentors, your network is about to explode. You will have the opportunity to sit in on mentor meetings – get to know the best entrepreneurs and investors in the city, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in Techstars social events with the founders and local community.
It’s basically a chance to get amazing experience, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams in the country. Historically, most associates end up being employed by one of the teams or by someone they met during the span of the three months. Many also go on to build their own companies.
General Job Description
We are looking for dynamic designers who love getting involved in many different aspects of design. From graphic design, to UI/UX, and even physical print design, you should be able to assess the needs of the companies and create beautiful and impactful materials. Whether it’s creating unique and memorable logos, pitch decks or presentations, you’ll be consulting with multiple top caliber startups as your clients over the course of the three month program on their branding and marketing strategy.
Expectations & Responsibilities:
- Willingness to commit to the equivalent of a full time position for a four month time period, and available days, evenings, and whenever needed. Schedule is flexible, but a strong commitment is expected.
- Execute on any and all design deliverables for the startups in the accelerator program, as well as the accelerator program itself.
- Manage multiple design projects & clients at once, prioritize design requests, and effectively communicate with startup clients on project expectations & deadlines.
- Work closely with accelerator team to help with successfully running the accelerator, and engage with Techstars founders to drive them towards success.
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively.
- A drive to get better every single day and are always looking for opportunities to learn.
- A positive outlook, desire to learn and meet new people, lots of energy and enthusiasm. The associates set the tone for a great accelerator experience for the startup founders!
- Knowledge that spans graphic design, design strategy, and UI/UX.
- Great understanding of how to translate business content into various visual forms of expression.
- Work experience in design strategy, marketing, advertising, or design thinking is a plus!
- Experience with design tools – Sketch and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign.
- Strong communication skills and experience managing expectations and deliverable timelines.
- A refined aesthetic sense and can both work internally (brand/logo projects) and expand a company’s vision (marketing collateral, customer experience).
- Experience working in an iterative design environment including giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS degree in a design-related field or 2-5 years of professional design experience.
- Authorized to work as a contractor in the United States.
- Currently live in New York City or would be willing to live here for the duration of the program.
- Dirk Lehmann – Techstars Associate Programme: The Better Startup MBA?
- Kelly McDonald – Learn More Faster
- Duc Luan Dam - Luan, do you ever sleep? (Being an Associate at Techstars part 1)
Techstars is an investment and innovation group that connects entrepreneurs, investors, corporations, and city governments to solve challenges across industries and geographies. We pioneered the accelerator program model in 2006 working toward our vision of a connected global economy of innovation.
Techstars is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, religion, physical or mental handicaps or disabilities, marital status, Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity nor any other basis prohibited by law.