Team Rubicon (TR) is seeking a Lead Copywriter, to join our hardworking, fun-loving and forward-thinking Marketing and Communications team. The right person is creative, detail-oriented, and a versatile copywriter. As an integral part of our in-house Creative Services team, the Lead Copywriter will draft copy for offline and digital campaigns and collateral to meet the needs of a rapidly growing, industry-leading international disaster response organization. The ability to capture and own Team Rubicon’s voice and tone will be critical, as is the ability to collaborate with stakeholders across the organization.
In this role, you will provide content development and copywriting to support the team’s efforts in recruiting new donors and volunteers, as well as storytelling to increase awareness and affinity for the Team Rubicon (TR) brand. You will lead the charge in developing weapons-grade copy that tells the story of TR’s impact in the world by mentoring a junior copywriter and engaging freelance contractors. You will also help the Creative Services team fulfill requests from TR’s key corporate and philanthropic partners, support other divisions within TR, assist volunteer communications leaders across the country, and draft copy for integrated marketing campaigns and collateral.
Our culture requires individuals foolish enough to think they can change the world and smart enough to have a chance. Every day is a challenge, but every month brings new opportunities for an organization that is quickly becoming a household name in disaster response. This position reports to TR’s Sr. Manager, Brand and Creative Services, and is based out of Team Rubicon’s national office in Los Angeles, CA. Only the most awesome candidates should apply, period.
- Write for multiple objectives: Lead copy development and participate in creative concepting across a diverse range of work including online and offline fundraising, volunteer recruitment, brand awareness, training courses, voice/copy style guides, scripts, and speech-writing
- Write for multiple platforms: Draft copy for all Team Rubicon channels including digital and print ads, video scriptwriting, social media graphics, print collateral, email, and web properties
- Build copy guidelines and standards to fit into overall Team Rubicon brand architecture
- Lead junior copywriter and manage freelance contractors towards development of kickass copy
- Provide support with copyediting and proofreading and editorial choices
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary creative and marketing team, as well as experts in disaster response, corporate partners, and external contractors to deliver high quality creative output
Experience and Background:
- 5+ years experience working as part of a multidisciplinary creative team required (e.g., in-house creative or marketing services team)
- Bachelor’s Degree in creative writing or journalism preferred; Masters from the School of Hard Knocks accepted
- Advertising or marketing agency experience a strong plus
- Professional Competency, Copywriting: demonstrated passion for Marketing and Communications with a track record of career progression in the field.
- Built To Serve: authentic connection to Team Rubicon’s culture and mission, as demonstrated by empathy for others and a track record of service
- Resilience & Adaptability: ability to successfully navigate a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and solve problems in the face of ambiguity and constant change
- Trust & Respect: respect and inclusiveness. High openness to feedback; respect for the opinions and differences of others; and a tendency to always assume the positive intent of others
- Leadership: Guides, motivates, inspires and develops others - simultaneously balancing the needs of the organization with getting the best out of people.
- Management: Exhibiting the courage and maturity to effectively, thoughtfully lead a team.
- Collaborates: Shares perspectives, seeks out and engages opposing points of view, and actively reflects upon evolution of thinking.
- Cultivates Innovation: Pushes the organization beyond traditional ways of doing things, introducing new ways of looking at problems, encouraging diverse thinking, and building excitement in others to explore, implement and adopt innovation.
- Quality of Work: Freedom from errors and mistakes, and ability to consistently meet objectives.
- Empathy: Keen ability to sense others' feelings, understand how they see things, pick up on social cues, and take an active interest in the concerns of others. Gets along with and engages others, and creates positive social experiences.
- Position is based at the national office in Los Angeles, CA
- Should be available to travel/deploy on operations when needed in order to capture unique content
- Be a badass brand ambassador at all times
- Don’t be a chucklehead when it comes to oxford commas and semicolons