Team Rubicon (TR) is seeking a creative, detail-oriented, and versatile web content writer to support our Marketing and Communications team with content creation, copywriting, and copyediting. This is a contract position which allows for remote work and reports to the Manager, Brand and Creative Services. This role will focus on creating unique content that tells the Team Rubicon story, with a focus on Houston rebuild efforts, with the goals of driving brand awareness, consideration, and ultimately conversion of new donors and volunteers.
The Web Content Writer will collaborate with the Creative Services team to draft digital content to meet the needs of a rapidly growing domestic and international disaster response organization. TR has a brand which is unique in the nonprofit industry, and the ability to capture our brand voice and tone in all content will be critical. The ideal candidate is part journalist, part marketing copywriter, and part compassionate badass.
Our culture requires individuals foolish enough to think they can change the world and smart enough to have a shot. Every day is a challenge, but every month brings opportunities for the organization to become synonymous with disaster response. Only the most awesome candidates should apply, period.
- Flexible, based on project workload and disaster/operational tempo
- Draft original content for Team Rubicon digital channels including blog, social media, and email.
- Hunt down compelling stories within (and adjacent) to Team Rubicon’s staff, volunteers, partners, and clients (disaster survivors) via interviews and/or research
- Provide support with copyediting, proofreading and editing materials
Experience and Background:
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or marketing preferred; Doctorate from the School of Hard Knocks accepted
- Journalism and/or advertising agency copywriting experience
- Skilled in interviewing with patience, note-taking with precision, and storytelling with purpose and a sense of humor
- Outstanding writer and a strong grasp of AP style
- Exceptionally skilled in organizing, evaluating, and recommending solutions to support requirements
- Infectious interpersonal skills to support rapport-building with colleagues, volunteers, partners, and stakeholders
- Efficiently manages multiple simultaneous projects and initiatives
- Writes succinctly and communicates effectively to various audiences
- Experience with Team Rubicon’s operational culture, history, and mission in disaster relief considered a “Plus”
- Position is in the Houston, TX area
- Ability to travel to rebuild worksites in Houston
- Ability to travel/deploy on TR Operations in order to capture unique content (travel expenses paid by TR)
- Be a badass brand ambassador at all times
- Don’t be a chucklehead when it comes to oxford commas and semicolons