At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we’re unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 2 out of 3 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive marketplace where teachers have created more than 3 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than five million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world! If you haven’t heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher. Two out of three teachers currently use TpT.
Who we are looking for
We’re a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
As a Lead Data Scientist at TpT you will be working with data engineers, data analysts, and business teams including Product, Marketing, and Finance to find valuable insights about our marketplace, our systems, and our users. You’ll use advanced research techniques such as statistical modeling, machine learning, natural language processing, and data visualization to explore data, test hypotheses, identify underlying causes and patterns, and find the best ways to turn these insights into better decisions and product improvements.
You’ll also be Technical Lead for the Data Science team, working with your manager to ensure the team’s projects and processes are focused, on track, and high quality and that partnerships with other teams are effective and coordinated.
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Strong experience using statistical techniques to model and explain user behavior on web sites, including A/B testing.
- A track record of value-creation in previous organizations, using the technical and communications tools of data science.
- Advanced knowledge of R or Python for data science, including reproducible research processes, data exploration, manipulation and visualization, and statistical modeling.
- Comfortable performing research in a product and business-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Enjoys working collaboratively with peers across business and engineering teams.
- Outstanding communications skills, including the ability to speak clearly to technical and nontechnical audiences, present insights to groups, and write clearly.
- Enjoys mentoring teammates and teaching what you’ve learned.
- Able to scale your impact through team leadership and technical project management.
- Statistical and mathematical depth equivalent to a Masters in Applied Statistics, either from a degree program or experience.
- At least five years of data science experience in industry.
Extra Credit for:
- Experience with Ed-Tech or online marketplaces
- Experience with search systems, recommender systems, or information retrieval.
- Experience with advanced techniques such as NLP, Bayesian methods, statistical model selection, econometric modeling, or optimization.
- Experience with interactive data visualization tools such as Shiny, Dash, or D3.
- Open Source or professional community contributions.