At Teachable, we are on a mission to revolutionize education. We grew 5x in 2016 and are aiming to grow 4x this year -- and are looking for an experienced financial leader to be a part of that growth.
We helped people sell $5m of courses in 2015, $30m in 2016 and are on track to exceed $120m in 2017.
But guess what? Mo’ money = mo’ problems. And you might just be our solution.
The job has two primary responsibilities:
- Defining our strategic direction based on deep analysis & modeling of opportunities
- Managing our accounting function -- which is a combination of traditional SaaS economics for our monthly recurring revenue (MRR) & marketplace economics for the $4m of course sales we process every month. We have an in-house controller that you will be working with.
A bunch of secondary responsibilities:
- Vendor Negotiation -- we buy a lotta stuff and probably aren’t getting the best deal. You should help us fix that.
- Cap Table Management -- 409a’s, issuing new options, being our primary eShares administrator
- Cashflow management -- with close to $7m in the bank and many millions in and out every month, this has become incredibly important.
- Budgeting -- working with different team leads to build out an annual budget.
- Fundraising -- frankly, we do not expect to have to raise money again - but if we do, experience taking us to the finish line will be helpful.
- Creating efficient internal processes -- expenses, accounts payable / receivable, checks & balances, we’re a real company that needs to start acting like one.
And a whole lotta miscellaneous problems to solve - here’s a cross-section of some we have faced in the last few months:
- We recently registered in Ireland to pay out EU VAT MOSS for sales occurring in Europe. Chances are we might have to do the same to handle GST in Canada. Help us figure out if it’s 1) important 2) the quickest way of getting there.
- Brazil is our fastest growing market and second largest market overall. But getting money out of Brazil is notoriously hard. Investigate the size of this opportunity and what our playbook should be.
- We have instructors in Turkey that we have been paying out every month via Paypal - however, Paypal was recently banned from doing business in Turkey. What scalable solution can be build to continue to support instructors in Turkey? Or should we be pulling out ourselves?
Who You Are
The ideal candidate is:
- Self-motivated - the most common reason for people not succeeding here is lack of initiative.
- Pro at analytics - Ability to synthesize large sets of data from multiple, seemingly unrelated sources.
- 3+ years of experience in finance and accounting, ideally at a Series A or further technology startup
- Has the ability to come into an environment without much set processes related to finances and implement best practice.
- History of building and scaling teams; preferably at a startup with $5-10m+ in revenue.
- Ability to synthesize large sets of data from multiple, seemingly unrelated sources.
If you are interested in applying, write a note explaining why you are the right person for this job.
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform which lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and will be an integral member of our tight-knit team. If you want to do something you believe will help us grow, you don’t need to ask a hundred people for permission. And you can do it all in our beautiful office in Flatiron, with great benefits and perks (health, dental, unlimited vacation, employee discounts).
You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible work hours and ability to work from home
- Competitive salary and comprehensive health benefits (for individuals and families)
- Discretionary vacation & time off; competitive parental leave
- Company activities and outings
- Beautiful office near Union Square, your own standing desk or other workspace
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- Employee discounts
- Gym or wellness match benefit