Founded by Peter Chernin, Jesse Jacobs, and Mike Kerns, The Chernin Group (TCG) is a multi-stage investment firm dedicated to building consumer businesses. With a focus on majority and significant minority investments in growing consumer businesses, the TCG team has a track record of working with world-class consumer brands in digital media, commerce, marketplaces, sports, gaming, consumer finance, consumer blockchain and health and wellness brands and platforms. The TCG portfolio includes Dapper Labs, Exploding Kittens, Food52, Funko, Headspace, Hodinkee, Lovevery, MeatEater, Night Media, Premier Lacrosse League, The Pro’s Closet, Zed Run and more. For more information visit tcg.co
TCG is looking for intellectually curious Associates to join our immersive and comprehensive 2-year Associate program designed to provide a deep understanding of the consumer investment and operational landscape. Associates in this program will gain exposure to deal modeling and sourcing, financial and operational due diligence, and portfolio management. They will work closely with senior team members to refine their investment mindset.
This role is based out of our Los Angeles, Menlo Park, or New York office with in-office expectations Monday through Thursday.
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Spearhead new investment analyses, including scenario and returns modeling, deal structuring, financial and operational due diligence, market research, competitive benchmarking, and material preparation
- Source and surface new investments for full team evaluation
- Distill qualitative and quantitative information into digestible, thoughtful investment recommendations
- Stay closely connected to the entrepreneurial and growing consumer landscape, including building relationships with founders, investors, and thought leaders
- Explore big-picture themes and analyze macroenvironment and industry trends to synthesize into investment ideas
- Work closely with our portfolio companies and form deep relationships with management teams, while providing ongoing support
- Provide support as needed in ongoing fund-related projects
Candidate Background & Attributes
- 2+ years in either investment banking, management consulting, private equity, or venture capital preferred
- Strong financial analysis and modeling skills; proficiency in assessing financial statements, valuation analyses, and complex financial structures
- A team player who can work collaboratively in lean deal teams and adapt to changing priorities and circumstances
- Keen ability to build meaningful relationships among a diverse cohort
- An entrepreneurial mindset - hard charging, self-starter with a passion for unearthing the next compelling consumer business
- Excellent communication skills; able and willing to ask the hard questions, form educated opinions, and share perspectives
- Excellent attention to detail and highly organized
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
Expected annual base salary range: $125,000 – 175,000
Actual base salary within that range will be determined by several components including but not limited to the individual's experience, skills, qualifications and job location. For roles located outside of the US, please disregard the posted salary bands as these roles will follow a separate compensation process based on local market comparables.
Additional compensation: Base salary does not include other forms of compensation or benefits offered in connection with the advertised role.