Founded by Peter Chernin, Jesse Jacobs, and Mike Kerns, The Chernin Group (TCG) is a multi-stage investment firm dedicated to building consumer businesses. With a focus on majority and significant minority investments in growing consumer businesses, the TCG team has a track record of working with world-class consumer brands in digital media, commerce, marketplaces, sports, gaming, consumer finance, consumer blockchain and health and wellness brands and platforms. The TCG portfolio includes Dapper Labs, Exploding Kittens, Food52, Funko, Headspace, Hodinkee, MeatEater, The Pro’s Closet, and Zed Run and more. For more information visit tcg.co
As TCG continues to grow, we are looking for a detail-oriented and efficient Accountant to own and drive TCG’s various accounting functions, including the preparation of internal and external reporting packages. The Accountant will be a core member of our collaborative and fast-paced Finance & Accounting team, reporting directly to our VP, Finance.
This role may be based out of our Menlo Park or Los Angeles office with in-office expectations Monday through Thursday.
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Manage TCG’s various accounting functions, including GL, A/P and A/R.
- Ensure appropriate and sufficient documentation is attached and maintained for all journal entries providing a clear audit trail.
- Manage internal month/quarter-end close of management company books. Prepare and analyze consolidated financial statements, including the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows. Prepare all monthly, quarterly, and annual management reporting packages and journal entries.
- Prepare monthly bank and account reconciliations.
- Prepare and analyze consolidated financial statements, including the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows.
- Prepare all monthly, quarterly, and annual management reporting packages.
- Deliver excellent, timely and detailed service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with auditors at year end and assist in the preparation of various reconciliations and schedules as requested.
- Identify and implement improvements to processes to increase efficiencies, reduce potential errors, and scale for growth.
- Assist with ad hoc projects and requests as needed.
Candidate Background & Attributes
- Public accounting experience required.
- 4+ years of relevant accounting experience.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of US GAAP.
- Solid understanding of debits and credits.
- Experience working with NetSuite and Bill.com desired.
- Financial reporting experience using various sources (combining data from NetSuite, Excel, etc.).
- Strong systems skills must be comfortable analyzing and manipulating large data sets, as well as experience with ERP and reporting tools (Excel, Word, Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat, etc.).
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-starter able to operate with a high degree of autonomy; detail oriented and efficient.
- Team player, positive attitude and can-do approach; be nimble and be able to scale up or down as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Enjoys a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and dynamic environment.
- Experience in a professional, financial services or venture capital/private equity setting preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting or Finance.
Expected annual base salary range: $130,000 - $180,000
Actual base salary within that range will be determined by several components including but not limited to the individual's experience, skills, qualifications and job location. For roles located outside of the US, please disregard the posted salary bands as these roles will follow a separate compensation process based on local market comparables.
Additional compensation: Base salary does not include other forms of compensation or benefits offered in connection with the advertised role.