Head of Talent
TCG Capital Management (“TCG”) is an investment firm based in Los Angeles/San Francisco and invests in consumer internet, media, commerce, sports, and wellness companies. Investments include Food52, Everlywell, Headspace, Meateater, Hodinkee, Surfline, Scopely, Sketchy, Lovevery, The Pro’s Closet, Collector’s Universe/Goldin Auctions, Dapper Labs, as well as many others.
TCG is looking for an exceptional Head of Talent, who will be responsible for developing and managing the Firm’s talent acquisition and retention function. The position will work with TCG’s portfolio companies to help drive their growth through the recruitment and retention of high impact executives and board members, and the development of talent strategies. In addition, the Head of Talent will develop and cultivate a talent pipeline for future hiring needs, both at TCG and at the portfolio companies. The ideal candidate will use creativity and expertise to develop a differentiated approach to the talent function that adds outsized value to both TCG and the portfolio companies.
The Head of Talent will be based in San Francisco or LA and will report to TCG’s Chief Operating Officer. In addition, the Head of Talent will be supported internally by a Director of Human Resources.
Objectives & Responsibilities
- Partner with leaders at TCG’s portfolio companies on recruitment, assessment, onboarding, retention, team development and compensation strategies:
- Recruitment – source executives (President/CEO, CFO, Chief Product Officer, CMO, Head of Growth, Head of Content, BDPartners, Chief People Officers, among other), manage search firm relationships, serve as executive search subject matter expert, ensure efficiency with recruitment process.
- Assessment – work with senior leadership at portfolio company to develop a talent plan to support growth trajectory. Plan may include providing direction and resources that educate the portfolio on when, how and why to hire particular executive roles and providing insight on role, scope, level, compensation, sourcing and selling techniques.
- Onboarding – assist with backchannel referencing, advise on efficient onboarding and training processes.
- Retention/team development – advise on initiatives to promote best-in-class culture, diverse and inclusive environments, mentorship opportunities, career growth and other key factors for employee retention.
- Compensation strategies – act as subject matter expert in compensation benchmarks based on role scope, level, geography, stage of company, etc.
- Source, build and manage the TCG network and pipeline of future talent prospects (executives, board members, TCG’s operating partner program).
- Develop and manage key resources to enable the talent function, including building and maintaining a CRM, compile and track key benchmark data and metrics, and manage key vendor and search firm relationships.
- Drive internal recruitment and retention processes and initiatives for TCG.
- Collaborate with the internal team and portfolio companies on the TCG-sponsored portfolio-wide internship program.
- Drive the creation of “talent content” (e.g. resource guides, playbooks, events, network updates, etc.) to help TCG inform its portfolio company and prospects on executive talent/recruiting-related topics in a compelling and scalable way.
Candidate Background & Attributes
- Proven experience and track record in retained executive search focused on senior executive recruitment, including expertise driving the process.
- Deep network of consumer, media and technology executives.
- Experience building or working closely with a successful talent function at an investment firm.
- Excellent at advising a broad range of constituents and cultivating long-term, trusting relationships and partnerships with portfolio company leadership and internal TCG team members.
- Known and respected by the best retained search firms.
- Highly collaborative and entrepreneurial, with client-minded focus.
- Proactive self-starter, displaying significant initiative and comfort working under strict deadlines and pressures.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work assignments.
- Enjoys working both independently and as part of a team and excels in a hard charging, fast-paced, fun environment with competing demands and passionate stakeholders.
- Shows creativity and intelligence, with a curiosity and passion for improvement.
- Displays a leadership approach – confident and straightforward, effective and concise communicator.
- Willing to travel regularly.