We bring out the best in business. From early-stage startups to seasoned companies, we work hard to give businesses a brighter future. Working with entrepreneurs and companies to fund, evaluate, validate, build and scale startups and ventures.
TCap is growing and we’re looking for self-starters to join our team, based in Vancouver, Canada. We are founders at heart and look for people with the same entrepreneurial drive to support TCap’s portfolio of exciting startups and companies.
Do you like to take initiative, serve and connect with others, thrive when there are multiple things on the go, and put your ideas into action in a collaborative environment?
Come join our team!
People Operations Business Partner (retail cannabis)
Vancouver, BC | Full-time, permanent
About People Ops at TCap
We are a people-first business. Joining our team means helping create customized experiences, so our portfolio of companies feels confident and supported. Being people-first means we don’t prescribe. We listen.
About the role
This is an opportunity to oversee and execute People Operations for a fast-paced, high-growth retail cannabis company, Jima Cannabis, under TCap’s portfolio. Jima is rapidly expanding across Canada and the USA and we’re looking for a people-first leader to help us scale and support this expansion.
As People Ops Business Partner, you’ll report into TCap’s Head of People Ops and oversee all things People Operations (HR) related at Jima. You’ll play a pivotal role as adviser to leadership, a partner to managers, and an ally to each person at Jima. This role will be responsible for designing and deploying Jima’s people strategy for candidate and employee experience; you can expect to own the entire lifecycle: from recruiting, hiring, and onboarding to talent development and performance management, total rewards, payroll, and more. You will partner with cross-functional team leaders to build and execute exciting programs and strategies that drive our business forward as we evolve, develop and cultivate our people and our culture.
Your quick pace will play a key role in building our world-class retail and store support teams and helping us succeed in scaling.
What you’re great at
- Connecting and collaborating with a variety of different people and personalities.
- Thriving when there are multiple things on the go with many priorities to manage.
- Coming up with great ideas on your own and within a team and then putting them into action.
- Getting the little things right.
- Leading with integrity and holding yourself accountable to what you say you’re going to do.
What you’ll be doing
- Setting up, running and executing People Operations tasks and initiatives in the following areas:
- Organizational development – shape, define and ensure a seamless delivery of our People Operations services and provide strategic direction on workforce planning, organization design and structure
- Business strategy – partner with leadership to align people strategies with business goals and objectives
- Operational support - provide hands-on support to Store Support and Retail teams ensuring our people processes run smoothly
- Talent & Performance Management - work with leadership to develop talent programs that attract new talent and promote succession within Jima
- Compensation & Benefits – create local and national compensation initiatives and advise on emerging trends.
- Compliance – ensure we comply with all provincial/state and federal regulations and ensure we file and provide mandatory compliance updates and training to our employees
- Diversity programs – ensure diversity & inclusion are at the forefront of Jima People initiatives ensuring we are providing equal opportunity and training for our teams
- Training & Development - understand the needs of the business to develop training programs that encourage growth and development within Jima
- Metrics – take a data-driven approach to develop and enhance People Operations initiatives.
What we’re looking for
- A seasoned People Operations (HR) professional with 5+ years' experience building out and leading a People Operations function.
- Prior experience building out People Operations at a rapidly scaling company; retail highly preferred.
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to coach, influence, and partner with employees and leadership
- Ability to go from scrappy to scaled and will set up systems with a tech-focused approach, always with the long-term in mind.
- Demonstrated success in an environment where there was no previously written playbook or process.
- A resourceful person with a can-do attitude who knows where to find answers when the need arises.
- Flexibility for when business decisions change, and the environment is ambiguous.
- A healthy dose of common sense and applying sound judgement in sensitive situations.
What you can expect from us
- If based in Vancouver, the opportunity to work from a brightly lit office space with up-to-date procedures, ensuring a safe and productive environment.
- A dynamic environment with opportunities to learn across a variety of industries and backgrounds.
- Competitive benefits package and wellness program.
- Growth culture with many opportunities to develop both personally and professionally.
Collectively, we are committed to cultivating and preserving an environment of inclusion and connectedness. Our team’s strength is in the sum of our diversity of thought, self-expression, innovation, life experiences, knowledge, and talent.
In hiring our team at TCap, we welcome the unique contributions that candidates can bring in terms of education, opinions, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, colour, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs. We value the perspectives and leadership of people who have been historically and systemically marginalized. TCap is an equal opportunity employer, and we particularly encourage applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this role.
If you require special accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.