We’re hiring a Data Scientist to join our team and help us:
- Develop predictive models for our clients that help them to understand and triage specific business problems — like churn & conversion drivers, and propensity to purchase.
- Develop deep insights that illuminate complex business problems through exploratory analysis and scientific discovery
- Work with our analytics engineers to get access to well-structured datasets that you can trust and work with fast
- Work with our data analysts to develop reproducible analysis and dashboards that solve client challenges
We’re open to candidates who are based in the UK, the Netherlands, or Sweden. We have hubs in London and Amsterdam but we’re setup to work remotely so any location can work.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Tasman is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
Tasman was founded in 2017 and both our client base and our team are growing rapidly. Our team acts as an interim Data Team for our clients, helping them scale their data capabilities, no matter where they are in their data journey. We combine deep expertise and a suite of best-in-class tools to provide end-to-end capability, from strategy through to execution. We build solid foundations and strong governance alongside advanced applications ensuring that each client experience is tailored to their needs.
We’ve worked hand-in-hand with over 15 high-growth companies in a range of industries. We’ve helped Lifecake to build a product for sharing childhood memories with family, Kaia Health to combine physical, psychological and educational expertise to tackle chronic diseases, and Asana Rebel in supporting those who want to get fit and start a healthy lifestyle. Other clients include Bleach London, The Business of Fashion, The Collective, Flash Pack, Marco Polo Learning, Gousto, RIXO, and ResQ Club.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Data Science team at Tasman is responsible for the scientific usage of data to solve business problems. This may be a rigorous investigation into the drivers of churn, or the development of an ML pipeline that predicts likelihood to churn and automatically gets run every morning before 9am so a client can take action on it. You’ll be able to use your knowledge of statistics, of engineering, and of business in endlessly reconfigurable ways to support clients goals and to find new solutions to challenging problems.
Scalability is at the heart of everything we do at Tasman — and especially in the Data Science team. As you work on client problems, you’ll be drawing on a standard set of existing methods and algorithms that help you get started quickly. As you develop your solutions you’ll contribute back to the standard set and help to develop the teams capabilities. Already we have worked with clients and data covering Retail, Apps, Travel, Food, Publishing, and Healthcare. We work with teams across the business spectrum covering sales, operations, marketing, merchandising, engineering, and product giving you exposure to myriad interesting projects and challenges.
Our Data Scientists work in close collaboration with the Analytics Engineering Team to design data models that connect to business needs, both client-specific and generalised. Through a process of ideas and iterations we are able to extend models elegantly to accommodate additional analytical needs as they arise through data science activities.
Similarly, our Data Scientists work closely with Data Analysts to investigate client problems and provide insights and solutions. Leveraging the deep domain expertise of our analysts and the deep technical skills of our data scientists, we create dashboards, reports, decks, and infographics that connect the business to the data they need.
We work with clients to identify areas of their business that would benefit from a quantitative measure of performance. This may be the probability of an event occurring, such as subscription churn or a product purchase or ad engagement, or it might be recommendation applications, such as next best content or creative selection or product recommendation. Each application leverages similar underlying machine learning principles that we grow and deploy over time. The potential for predictive modelling is huge and a key part of driving impact with data in all our clients.
We combine research of the latest techniques with a reusable approach to tried and tested algorithms. That means we love random forests and logistic regression, but we also get really excited about XGBoost and reinforcement learning. For Tasman, the best algorithms are those that impact the business goals we have, whether that's using old maths or new.
Exploratory data analysis is a key part of how we approach client problems. We use a scientific approach to uncover key insights and relationships between key elements of the business. That may be how particular customers react to product features, or where the latest designs have been making waves, or how new audiences are reacting to our marketing messages. Using a combination of simple analytical approaches, sophisticated visualisations, and statistical modelling we unpick the true signals in the data and discard the spurious noise.
Much of the insight work is client-specific and focuses on the unique elements of their business. However, we rely on a common approach to data models that we deploy across all clients. That means analysis is built on the same data platform and can be reused and tailored to produce rapid results. The cumulative effect of these standardisation efforts is that we shorten the time-to-value with each new client we work with.
- Help our clients to solve real business challenges that have measurable impact on their success.
- Build reproducible models and analysis that contributes to a growing and scalable platform for data science
- Explore and implement sophisticated algorithms that meet critical business needs
- Contribute to client data strategy across different business domains
- Work in close collaboration with the other teams at Tasman to design and develop a consistent data layer
- Expand and improve the suite of tools that form the foundation of all the client work we do.
- Get to work with an experienced team. Coaching and mentoring is an important part of the road to success for us.
- Have the opportunity to become an expert on data science. You will develop strong opinions, whilst retaining a certain level of pragmatism, and you will have the opportunity to share those opinions by writing blog posts and presenting at conferences.
- Work closely with internal data teams at our clients to ensure a smooth handover as we near the end of a project.
- You have a strong analytical mindset and experience with using data to solve problems and find answers to complex questions.
- You have strong technical knowledge in the data domain, in particular being able to use SQL, R, Python or other programming languages. You will know how to write clear, performant code that can be shared and reused amongst your peers.
- You’ll have experience with cloud-native data warehouses (we use BigQuery, Redshift, and Snowflake) and be at ease with getting data out for analysis.
- You have at least 2 years of relevant experience. You won’t know how all the systems work on day one so we don’t expect you to hit the ground running, but a good understanding of the fundamentals and experience working in a similar role will help you get up to speed quickly.
- You are self-motivated and prefer to learn by doing, failing, and trying again. You have a can-do attitude to learning new skills and new tools. Not only do we have to keep abreast of the state-of-the-art, we also have to adapt sometimes to clients’ toolsets.
- You are a good communicator who is able to work directly with data analysts, data scientists, engineers, product managers, marketers, and executive teams. Being able to communicate with clarity and precision is of critical importance to this role.
- You are a clear thinker who is comfortable explaining their thinking, discussing different approaches to a problem, and working collaboratively and creatively to identify new solutions.
- You care about the details and have a mature attitude to documentation, security, and process—all of which are important and inform everything we do.
- You might have a STEM degree. You might not. That’s not necessarily what we’re looking for. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. A strong track record of conscientious, thoughtful work speaks volumes.
- You enjoy working across multiple problems with multiple clients at any given moment. To do this effectively, you understand the importance of planning and estimating and know how to balance competing priorities.
- This is a location-agnostic job. You’re free to work where you work best: home office, co-working space, coffeeshops, quarantined cruise ships.
PAY AND BENEFITS
- A competitive package with share options
- 25 days holidays (on top of public holidays)
- A latest generation MacBook Pro
- A flexible work environment
- A budget for home office
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an application that speaks directly to this position. Address some of the work we do and tell us about your role in Tasman’s future and Tasman’s role in yours. There’s no benefit to writing a novel. Keep it short and get across what matters to you. Clear communication is crucial in the work we do, and you should think of this as our first impression of you.
We will process applications on an ongoing basis which means there is no deadline. However, we will make an offer as soon as we find the right person for the role so don’t wait too long before applying! At this stage, regrettably, we are also not able to offer internships or visa sponsorships.
Expect us to take one or two weeks to review the application. We’ll let you know whether you’ve advanced to the next stage of the application process, which will be a phone screen. If that goes well, we’ll proceed to the in-depth interviews. Our interviews are one hour, all remote, each with one of the co-founders of Tasman.
We look forward to hearing from you!