The Software Engineering Manager will have full ownership and a high degree of flexibility related to both team management and the development lifecycle. This leadership role is cross-functional and will work closely with Product, Technical Program Managers, as well as other Engineering Leaders and stakeholders. This function will manage the tactical delivery tasks and development & accountability of a team, while simultaneously assisting with the strategic planning for forward-looking initiatives.
The Software Engineering Manager will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating the people, resources, and processes required to deliver on Tango Card software engineering goals. The Software Engineering manager will take a hands-on role in software development as needed, support project management, and coordinate the work of other software professionals toward meeting business goals.
Reports To: Engineering Director, Customer & Recipient Experience
As Software Engineering Manager at Tango, you will:
- Hire, lead, and develop a team of remote-first developers in building best-in-class, cloud-based products. This person plays an essential role in attracting, developing, leading, and retaining talent for Engineering.
- Build consistent tools, processes, and documentation to support onboarding new team members so they can quickly get up to speed on our tech stack and other expectations. Consistently assess our approaches and help us innovate to scale quickly and efficiently.
- Mentor team members and provide career development, accountability, and growth opportunities by celebrating wins and coaching through challenges, conducting regular one-on-one meetings, and considering organizational needs.
- Cultivate a learning environment where team members continuously improve and contribute to organizational culture and events - such as brown bags, conferences, and hackathons.
- Align key stakeholders around the vision and support needed for projects.
- Identify and communicate opportunities for innovation and increased efficiencies that could positively impact the team.
- Drive design & architecture, and contribute to the development process.
- Accountable for quality, resiliency, scale, and defining other appropriate metrics for success.
To be effective in our Software Engineering Manager role, you must have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related fields and 7+ years of experience OR 9+ years equivalent experience in software development
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language
- Extensive experience and knowledge in OO design and implementation
- Experience with production-worthy distributed systems development, including tools and processes.
- Demonstrated track record of building and supporting highly-functional and engaged technical teams.
- Skills in people leadership including project management, the ability to direct work and manage priorities, and the ability to support professional development for multiple team members.
- Passion for people development and workflow organization.
- Hands-on experience in building complex, highly scalable cloud-based systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
- Knowledge of software engineering practices, including agile, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, SaaS, and operations.
- Confidence as a self-directed and capable leader, comfortable working effectively in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to form relationships with internal and external business partners and influence to drive success.
- The ability to influence people and results through collaborative, people-first leadership.
- Agility to adapt with shifting priorities, needs, technologies.
- Ability to effectively give and receive feedback and translate actionable feedback into results.
- Ability to collaborate cross functionally in a high growth environment.
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines, working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams.
- Strong verbal and written communication, including the ability to lead meetings and craft and deliver presentations
To be effective in our Software Engineering Manager role, you must have the following technical experience:
- Expertise with JS w/ ES6+, TypeScript, and CSS
- In-depth knowledge of Java and Spring
- Hands on experience with Vue, React, Angular, Ember, or another modern frontend framework
- Experience in Service Oriented Architecture and Structured Event-Driven Architecture
- Knowledge of Design Patterns, Object Oriented Development, and SOLID Principles
- Expertise in RDBMS, including familiarity with ACID properties and transactionality
Our ideal Software Engineering Manager at Tango will have most of the following skills and experience:
- 5+ years experience working in an Agile environment
- Experience launching secure, scalable, resilient services at Enterprise scale
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Expertise with responsive web implementations using something like Bootstrap, CSS Grid, or Flexbox
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- SpringBoot 2.1+ and Java 11+
- In-depth knowledge of CSS and experience with SASS or Less
- Familiarity with Terraform or similar technologies
- Familiarity with Serverless Technologies
- Experience with NoSQL data repositories
- Experienced with writing tests using tools such as Cypress, Jest, Karma, Junit, etc
- Familiarity with WebSockets
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Salary: The targeted pay range for this position is between $173,000 to $193,000. Please note that the actual salary offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, and experience. Certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonus.
What You'll Get From Us
- Competitive compensation package (money isn’t everything, but it helps)
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits (100% employer paid premium)
- Flex PTO and a generous holiday schedule
- 401(k) matching and equity opportunities (401(k) is a 100% match of up to 6%)
- Home-Office grant for ensuring a great WFH environment during social-distancing measures
- Award-winning culture that fosters autonomy, creativity, inclusion, transparency, and ownership
- Dog-friendly offices
What We’re Up to at Tango
Tango helps thousands of companies reach their goals by making rewards and incentives easy to send and awesome to receive. Our customers genuinely love working with us, and it shows: We’ve made the Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America for the last five years. We’re backed by a stellar group of investors, including the private equity firm FTV (which led a $35M growth equity round in 2018), Fyrfly Venture Partners, Floodgate Capital, Eric Schmidt’s Innovation Endeavors, SWaN & Legend partners, and WTI.
Why Work for Us
Tango is proud to have been rated one of the Best Companies to work for by Built In Seattle. We’re on an incredible path to be the #1 rewards provider, and we are hiring amazing people across all areas of the business to accomplish our vision.
We foster an office culture of autonomy and transparency with flexible working hours and slim team structures. We provide our team members with what they need to be successful—whether that’s the latest technology at their fingertips or empowering them to attend conferences about industry trends. We’re committed to promoting mentorship and career development opportunities for our team members. Our physical offices are designed for productivity and comfort with standing desks, comfortable pod chairs, and a very dog-friendly environment. If working from home is more your thing, many roles offer the choice to establish a remote office. With a company like Tango that’s experiencing high growth year over year, career opportunities abound and you have the chance to create, own, and grow your role.
Tango is proud to extend its Voluntary WA State Paid Family Medical Leave Plan to employees across all Tango locations.
Tango is an equitable and equal opportunity employer; we’re strong because we’re diverse and prioritize inclusive practices. All applicants will be recruited and considered for employment regardless of their social identities, including but not limited to race, gender, color, religion, belief, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, and other protected classes. We thrive in the areas of recruiting and hiring when we have a growing awareness of the challenges faced by underrepresented candidates during the application and hiring process. We encourage all candidates to apply for roles they feel they have the skills to fulfill or a willingness to learn.
We at Tango take the protection of your personal information very seriously. We will never ask for financial information of any kind or for payment during the job application process. Please take extra caution while examining the email address of the individual you are communicating with, as scammers may misspell an official Tango email address or use a slightly modified version. Emails from us will come only from an official @tangocard.com email address. If you suspect a role or job ad is fraudulent, or that you are being contacted by a scammer pretending to be a representative of Tango, please contact us. If you believe you are the victim of fraud resulting from a job listing, please contact your local authorities.