At Tango, we're building a workflow intelligence platform to help teams learn, share, and discover best practices.
Tango's Chrome Extension records step-by-step activity of top performers to make team processes easily reviewable and understood.
Teams using Tango have more:
- productive new hires
- effective coaching of managers
- recognition for high performance
We believe teams that openly support and challenge each other are more fun and destined to win. We move quickly in service to our customers. If this excites you, we want to meet you!
As a Backend Engineer at Tango, you'll build a workflow intelligence platform to radically improve team productivity and help master how work gets done. You'll be a critical member of a talented and diverse team working on a modern tech stack using a serverless cloud architecture (Appsync, CDK, Lambda, GraphQL, DynamoDB). You will have a huge influence on our product roadmap and will work directly with the founders and senior members of the team across engineering, product, and design — who bring their experiences from Uber, Anchorage, Docker, General Catalyst, and Harvard Business School.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate closely with our CTO and senior members of the engineering team to make architecture and design decisions
- Drive our cloud, infrastructure, and dev ops efforts
- Proactively challenge scopes, flag issues, and suggest alternatives
- Set standards around development, code review, and deployment
- Deploy, troubleshoot, and maintain your code in production
- Navigate the build and release process to publish GraphQL schemas, databases and micro-services to AWS
- Help us grow the team by interviewing and coaching new hires
Skills in your toolbox:
- You have 4+ years of professional experience in relevant software engineering roles.
- You have demonstrable experience in backend development and database management.
- Above all else, you are a continuous learner and are excited to add new skills to your toolbox. We believe that the best engineers can learn new skills on the job.
- You are are an excellent communicator.
- You know what parts of your code require tests (and write those tests).
- You are an expert in managing technical debt—if you choose not to avoid it, you encapsulate it.
- You have product sense: you create more than beautiful code and can play a crucial role in choosing what we build and how we build it.
- You’ve built and monitored a serverless application.
Preferred tech stack:
- Extensive experience with AWS services common to serverless architectures (AWS Lambda, AppSync, API Gateway, DynamoDB, IAM, etc.)
- Experience using AWS AppSync, or ****have a strong interest in learning quickly.
- Experience with authentication patterns using services such as AWS Cognito or Auth0.
- Experience building GraphQL backends or comparable API development experience.
- Experience with AWS CDK or Serverless framework.
- Experience building Chrome extensions or expertise working with the DOM.
- You have supported substantial applications with modern frontend frameworks like React, Vue, Svelte, Angular, Ember, etc.
- Experience writing type-safe code with TypeScript or Flow and creating unit and end-to-end tests with Jest and Cypress.
Who you are:
- A mentor; we’re passionate about teams being more than the sum of their parts
- A truth-seeker; you zero-in on the most important task in order to move quickly
- A dreamer; you embrace the growth mindset and refuse to settle for good enough
- A goofball; we’re serious about not taking ourselves too seriously
- Competitive cash compensation with equity upside
- Full Medical/Dental/Vision coverage with 100% employer contribution and an HSA for qualified plans
- Unlimited vacation, 9 company holidays, birthdays off, and 6 personal volunteer days
- Stipends for professional development and productivity enhancement
- Work from anywhere
- 401(k) plan
- National Parks Annual Pass
- Fully subsidized roller skates
Lastly, inclusiveness and transparency are crucial at Tango and we welcome and look for backgrounds of all kinds. Diversity is a superpower!