Tally makes people less stressed and better off financially. Currently at Series C with $92MM in funding, we are a team that is democratizing financial services to put billions of dollars back in people’s pockets. Tally built the first fully automated debt manager to help people overcome credit card debt and provide a completely free automated savings service, Tally Save. Tally’s vision is to automate people’s entire financial lives so they can worry about money less and do what they love more.
The Product Services organization is responsible for all the systems and services that power up both Tally Cards and Tally Save applications. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll leverage your experience designing, building and operationalizing systems to get us closer to achieving our vision of complete financial automation. You’ll collaborate with product, design and other engineering teams to build a strong technology foundation and drive technical direction at scale.
Core Skills: Distributed Systems, AWS, JVM, Technical Leadership, Software Architecture, API Design
Day in the life:
- Provide guidance, set standards and facilitate decision making on systems design, software architecture, and technology selection principles; you help creating a path where our systems and products can evolve seamlessly together
- Actively participate in product and engineering design reviews; you probe assumptions, illuminate pitfalls, and foster shared understanding. You align teams toward coherent architectural strategies.
- Drive implementation of key product and technology initiatives with a high degree of technical complexity; you set the standard for engineering excellence in your organization.
- You propose projects that may require the work of one or more teams to implement; you divide responsibilities so that each team can work independently and have the system come together into an integrated whole.
- You work closely with engineering leaders helping them understand skill and technology gaps, up-leveling the capabilities and quality of our engineering organization.
- You collaborate in recruiting efforts to bring more talented engineers to the team.
- Spend time coaching and grooming software engineers, helping them become better at their craft; you’re a source of knowledge.
- 8+ years of experience as a technical/technology leader, overseeing design, implementation and operations of large-scale distributed systems and APIs
- Deep understanding of one or more of: Data Modeling, Data stores, API Design, Event Driven Architectures and Service Communication Patterns (RPC, PubSub, REST, GraphQL)
- General knowledge of modern microservice architectures and integration patterns
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of technical ambiguity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; you’re able to convey architecture and technology solutions succinctly, minding your audience
- Experience with Scala or any other JVM language, Kafka, Lightbend Platform and AWS a plus
A message from our leadership:
"One of our core values at Tally is 'Change shoes often.' We do this with our peers and our customers every day, and we want candidates to share in our commitment to empathy. Empathy really is the foundation of inclusion, and Tally prides itself in being a company that prioritizes inclusion and diversity. We’re dedicated to creating a workplace culture where people are included and treated equitably."
Jason Brown, Co founder and CEO