Tala is looking for top-tier talent to grow our Credit and Expansion departments. The Expansion Credit Strategist role is perfect for somebody who wants to combine analytical research skills with high business impact. You will report to the VP of Credit & Risk Analytics, and collaborate day-to-day with our Expansion generalists to underwrite new geographies and rails operator partners as we expand our footprint around the globe. Your goal is to enable the highest business value for Tala whilst simultaneously delivering on a triple-bottom-line value proposition to our vendor partners, and most importantly, our customers. Tala also offers a uniquely mission-driven value proposition with a culture of camaraderie, energy, and high performance.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Strategy: Utilize your understanding of our business model and financial data, as well as in-country and expert research to make recommendations on the blueprint for each launch strategy as we expand to new geographies and financial rail operators
- Risk Underwriting: Perform both credit and enterprise risk assessment of each expansion opportunity
- Business Case Development and Testing: Develop business case and/or financial models for each new expansion opportunity; Design hypothesis tests to validate any assumptions and business-critical requirements; Incorporate new learnings into business case iterations; Guide leadership decision making at major milestones
- Structured and Organized: Apply sound logic in making complex risk decisions in a dynamic and fast-paced environment; Take a curious and critical approach for investigating financial and non-financial risks
- Partnership: Collaborate across our Credit, Growth, Product, Expansion, and Executive teams; take the lead to achieve shared goals
- Business Judgment and Integrity: You are a tenacious decision maker, able to bring a healthy, aggressive, and responsible approach to our business
- Ownership: Intensely focused on achieving short term and long term goals by taking ownership for business outcomes; demonstrate accountability, urgency, and execution of risk mitigation strategies until a complete resolution
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Law, Finance, or related Business degree
- 3+ years experience with risk evaluation associated with business models and financial data
- Ability to travel internationally without restrictions (~1-2 trips per quarter)
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with the ability to adapt to change and re-prioritize
- Living or working experience in emerging markets (specifically East Africa, SE Asia/Philippines, Latin America)
- Experience with Android app technology, telecom, and/or payments
- Experience within credit, particularly within deep subprime consumer or small business
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to deliver financial access, choice and control to underserved people around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.