Tala is looking for a detail-oriented and dynamic controller with experience working in a rapidly growing, hands-on, start-up environment. This role is responsible for direct supervision of all accounting and financial functions. As Controller, you will be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate. This position requires excellent communication, an ability to think critically and creatively, attention to detail and a team-oriented attitude. The responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Oversee all aspects of Tala’s accounting department which includes, but is not limited to, the company's financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, budgeting, tax compliance, and various special analyses.
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal controls.
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations
- The implementation of corporate policies and procedures such as invoice processing, cash management and expense policies.
- Assist in the development, monitoring and regular reporting of KPI's
- Assist in implementing other processes in accounting and ensuring internal controls are in place with those new processes.
- Ensure accurate and timely production of all financial information.
- Proper analytical review of the asset operations from a balance sheet, income statement and cash flow perspective as well as an overall business perspective.
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Related Field.
- 5+ years experience in the accounting and finance sector.
- 4+ years experience managing accountants and the accounting and finance process.
- 3+ years in a position equivalent to a controller or higher responsibilities.
- Experience with managing multiple entities.
- Experience with international entities.
- CPA (required).
- MBA, CFA or additional designation a plus.
- Experience with multi-currency accounting, ideally in emerging markets.
- Confidential, understands the ethical standards of a CPA.
- Conscientious about timeliness of assignments and quality of work product.
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and maintain control and order over same.
- Good GAAP and financial reporting technical skills.
- Exceptional work ethic.
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala (formerly InVenture) builds mobile products that help creditworthy individuals in emerging markets validate their financial identities and get access to fair credit to advance their businesses and families. Tala is providing choice and control to individuals around the world when it comes to their financial identity.
Tala is backed by Data Collective (DCVC), Lowercase Capital (Chris Sacca), Google Ventures, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture & impact investors. Fast Company ranked InVenture as the World’s Most Innovative Money Company in 2015 and our work has been highlighted by Wired UK, Forbes, the Economist, Vodafone, TED and many others.