We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to design and implement core components of our financial platform and scale it to serve millions of users across the world. The technical scope of the project is broad and calls for technical expertise across a wide range of problem domains.
- You will design and implement product features as defined in the roadmap
- You will own and maintain substantial portions of the backend infrastructure
- The opportunity to code using cutting-edge platforms and interact with our data science team
- You will mentor and grow junior engineers on best practices and code efficiency
- Detailed oriented - you are a proven developer who values clean and efficient code
- Technology toolbox - you have all of the tools for development plus a few extras
- Translator - you have experience working closely with product managers, cross-functional teams, and customers to translate requirements into technical design
- Leader - you have the ability to keep pace with, and set pace for, your teammates. Able to learn and teach new technologies and solutions
- Solutions Driven - experience thinking out loud to create the best solutions to complex, tricky problems, using the latest technical methodologies/processes
- 4+ years experience working on backend software using modern languages and frameworks (Java, Scala, Python, Play, Django)
- Advanced degree in Computer Science and/or Math
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process
- Working knowledge in API development for mobile/web use
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL)
Preferred skills & experience:
- Highly motivated and self disciplined
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communication in a fast pace environment
- Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to deliver financial access, choice and control to underserved people around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.