We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to design and implement core components of our financial platform and scale that platform to serve millions of users across the world. The technical scope of the project is broad and calls for technical expertise across a wide range of problem domains.
As a senior member of the engineering team, we expect you to work with cross functional teams (product, data science, credit) to ship scalable software solutions. You value the craftsmanship of clean and efficient code as well as the skill of solving problems using the most appropriate technology. You help set the standards and drive your teammates’ productivity.
- Design and implement product features as defined in the roadmap.
- Own and maintain substantial portions of the backend infrastructure.
- Code, using cutting-edge platforms and interacting with our data science team.
- Mentor and grow junior engineers on best practices and code efficiency.
- Detail-oriented- you are a proven developer who values clean and efficient code.
- Technology toolbox- you have all of the tools for development plus a few extras.
- Translator- you have experience working closely with product managers, cross-functional teams, and customers to translate requirements into technical design.
- Leader- you have the ability to keep pace with, and set pace for, your teammates. Able to learn and teach new technologies and solutions.
- Solutions Driven - you have experience thinking out loud to create the best solutions to complex, tricky problems, using the latest technical methodologies/processes.
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals.
- 4+ years experience working on backend software using modern languages and frameworks (Java, Scala, Python, Play, Django).
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL).
- Working knowledge in API development for mobile/web use.
Preferred skills & experience:
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science and/or Math.
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced environment.
- Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning.
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala (formerly InVenture) builds mobile products that help creditworthy individuals in emerging markets validate their financial identities and get access to fair credit to advance their businesses and families. Tala is providing choice and control to individuals around the world when it comes to their financial identity.
Tala is backed by Data Collective (DCVC), Lowercase Capital (Chris Sacca), Google Ventures, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture & impact investors. Fast Company ranked InVenture as the World’s Most Innovative Money Company in 2015 and our work has been highlighted by Wired UK, Forbes, the Economist, Vodafone, TED and many others.