ABOUT GHOST STORY GAMES
Ghost Story Games (formerly known as Irrational Games) is a self-publishing game studio owned by Take-Two Interactive. Our mission is simple: to create immersive, story-driven videogames for people who love games that ask something of them.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Ghost Story Games is currently hard at work on a new project that will provide the right candidate the potential to work on exciting new game experiences. We are looking a UI artist with a strong sense of the end-to-end experience of UI development. Responsibilities include planning and coordinating development of the broader UI experience with flow diagrams, wire frames and mockups. Artist will also be responsible for creating artwork, driving the art direction for the UI and presenting it to the Art Director.
- Design compelling, easy to understand visual treatments for the game UIs and menus, and take those treatments to polished in-game assets
- Create conceptual samples, user flow diagrams, and high-fidelity prototypes to solidify design direction and plans
- Identify priorities and gaps in current designs, and contribute and iterate on creative solutions
- Create both original creative art assets for UI, as well as match existing art styles
- Work closely with programmers and create an efficient workflow to generate and implement UI and menu assets into the game
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s)
- Conceive, design, and implement UI systems and features that are tightly integrated with various gameplay systems, and bring them to a fully realized, superb shipping quality.
- Constantly seek out ways to improve and champion the user experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in a UI Artist role
- Shipped at least 2 titles in a UI Artist role
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop and UMG
- Knowledge of creating motion graphics using UMG, Nuke or After Effects
- Understand the limitations of consoles, memory and performance issues
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Be able to work with tight deadlines and constraints
- Scripting or programming experience
- Game Engine Experience: Unreal 4. One or more titles shipped using UE4.
- Understand how to use shader networks to improve UI
- Experience in 3D, FX, or other specializations
- Experience using Jira & Confluence
- Passion for narrative first-person shooters.
- Firsthand knowledge of design for shooters, immersive sims, and/or action RPGs.
- Experience with Perforce or similar source-control solutions.
WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION
Please have played or at least be familiar with our legacy games System Shock 2, BioShock, and BioShock Infinite. View this video from Ken Levine’s 2014 GDC talk, which explains on a high level some of the game we’re working on.
Please remember to include art samples as appropriate including 3D rendered material, concept sketches, 2D work and/or animation. You will also need to present game resolution examples of your work. When submitting extensive samples of 2D work, please send high-resolution samples, preferably via a file sharing site, or provide the address for your online portfolio. No one will be considered without a portfolio and game resolution examples of your work!
WHAT WE OFFER
- The opportunity to work on a creatively ambitious project in the immersive sim genre.
- A world-class team of less than 40 people. We are committed to making games that we judge by quality, not arbitrary timeliness. We are proud to be home to some of the most talented, smartest, nicest, and hardest-working colleagues. We make mistakes sometimes, but we help each other by finding mistakes early and depending on each other to fix them quickly.
- Open Communication: Our team members are welcome to join any meeting, and we have a mostly flat structure. Do you have a question or a concern? Just walk up (or Slack) anyone and ask! Team-based decision making is important to us, regardless of your position – every opinion counts and is considered.
- The Space: We love our studio space and all the comfortable perks that come with it, such as a fully stocked kitchen (drinks, fruit, snacks, breakfast food), plenty of shops, restaurants, services, and urgent care within walking distance, a game room, a quiet room, outdoor deck, free parking, public transportation connections including the Amtrak train into Boston + NY, and maybe, just maybe, we have a bathysphere whiskey bar.
- Free Merchandise: Every new employee is welcomed with an on boarding swag package to make sure they blend right in. Additionally, each of our team members can expect to receive new merchandise items when one goes live in our fan store. For fans of other Take-Two studios, there is a discounted employee store where you can find the latest games and swag from our sister studios.
- On-Site Support: Our world-class IT and Operations teams make sure that you get what you need to do what you do best. They keep us working, fed, hydrated, and happy. Full team-catered lunches for new employee welcomes or significant team meetings? Receiving your online shopping orders? Getting you an aspirin when needed? They have your back!
Great Place to Work® has certified our workplace culture. At Ghost Story Games, 91 percent of employees say their workplace is great.