takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for highly talented Software Engineer (Platform & DevOps) to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
The position reports to the Engineering Team Lead (DevOps)
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Terraform to manage Cloud Infrastructure, Chef to manage virtual servers
- Building and deploying systems for metrics, monitoring, and logging
- Operations for Kafka, Kubernetes, Nginx, Memcache, and more
- CI/CD Build Systems to ensure our teams can deploy frequently and safely
- Hardening servers, and building security into the platform
- Developing automation so we can focus on the hard problems
- Developing glue code to extend or integrate systems
- Is passionate about technology- keeping up to date with the industry
- Always learning
- Is a team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making
- Possesses the ability to work under pressure
Qualifications and experience:
- Computer science degree
- At least 2 years of professional experience
- An understanding of computer science fundamentals, including linux and operating systems, networking
- Solid grasp of development fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Can write code (we use Python)
- Have experience with Google Cloud, or another cloud provider (architecture, operations)
- Have experience managing Kubernetes Clusters (certificates, users, kubeadm, etc.)
- Understand networking deeply (tcp/ip, calico/weave, vlans, tcpdump, etc.)
- Understand Linux deeply (kernel tuning, proc filesystem, cgroups, os scheduling, etc.)
- Have experience with Build Systems (Jenkins, Gitlab, Spinnaker)
- Has a reasonable understanding of Networking (TCP, UDP, IP)
- Has experience with Linux administration (Processes, Networking, Disks, Security)
- Has experience with one configuration management system (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Has experience managing production systems
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference