takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Engineering Team Lead (Payments) to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard- working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Engineering Director (Business Systems).
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- We are looking for an experienced software development team lead to join a versatile and creative IT management team.
- As a development team lead you will lead a group of developers and testers constantly striving for quality solutions that are delivered on time, within budget and scope, and drive a culture of quality and personal accountability.
- You will need a strong understanding of large-scale e-commerce platform development, have experience building RESTful web applications and an appreciation of the technical challenges developers face. You will be from a development background and have a good understanding of architectural practices. You will be an advocate of Agile engineering practices and you will have prior line management experience with a track record of keeping highly skilled developers motivated.
- Successfully launch new products quickly as well as manage a large existing code base.
- This is an exciting opportunity to lead a growing team of engineers working on Takealot.com's ambitious development roadmap.
- This is a hands-on role: you should expect to spend at least 50% of your time writing code, or working with others on your team directly contributing to the production of code. The other 50% of your time will be split between architectural and strategic planning with peers and senior developers and the day-to-day people management and development required of a high-performing and successful team.
- Solutions-oriented, can-do attitude and high energy
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, using data to inform decisions
- Ability to disaggregate and structure solutions to ambiguous problems
- Solid quantitative skills
- Ability to interview and interact professionally with internal and external people
- Capability to present ideas succinctly, in writing and verbally
- Versatile and with the appetite to learn by doing
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience in a Software Engineering role
- Experience leading a Software Engineering team
- Experience with and an understanding of line management responsibility for a technical team
- Experience working within an Agile and DevOps team, and an advocate of that culture
- Experience developing using Python in a test-driven environment (or at least in one of the following: Java, C, C++, C#)
- Significant technical experience and a proven track record of architectural ownership and understanding
- Experience in developing distributed, transactional, and highly available systems
- Good SQL and MySQL experience in a high-load environment
- A thorough understanding of computer science fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- A thorough understanding of software engineering practices and best practices, including source code control systems, the use of IDEs, and testing tools
- Experience with building RESTful APIs & working within a micro-services architecture
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to employ an Extraordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.