takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Software Engineer Team Lead (Logistics) to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard working people to join us. We offer a market related Total Remuneration Package, which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Engineering Director (Logistics)
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Actively work on the production of code.
- Be involved with the architectural and strategic planning with peers and senior developers
- Be responsible for day-to-day people management and development required of a high-performing and successful team.
- Lead a group of developers constantly striving for quality solutions that are delivered on time, within budget and scope, and drive a culture of quality and personal accountability.
- You will be an advocate of Agile engineering practices
- Successfully launch new products quickly as well as manage a large existing code base.
- Solutions-oriented, can-do attitude and high energy
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, using data to inform decisions
- Ability to disaggregate and structure solutions to ambiguous problems
- Solid quantitative skills
- Ability to interview and interact professionally with internal and external people
- Capability to present ideas succinctly, in writing and verbally
- Versatile and with the appetite to learn by doing
Qualifications and experience:
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience
- Post Graduate Degree preferred.
- Experience leading a team technically, with a focus on a very high-quality output
- Experience mentoring and developing technical teams
- Experience working within an Agile and DevOps team, and an advocate of that culture
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience developing Scala in a test-driven environment (and/or at least in one of the following - Java, C, C++)
- Good SQL experience in a high-load environment
- Significant technical experience and a proven track record of architectural ownership and understanding.
- A thorough understanding of computer science fundamentals, including object-oriented design and data structures and algorithms
- Experience in developing distributed, high transactional and available systems for retail online platforms
- You will need a strong understanding of large-scale full-stack platform development, have experience building Front-end, Back-end and RESTful web applications.
- A thorough understanding of software engineering practices and best practices, including Agile software development, source code control systems and the use of software IDEs and development and testing tools.
- Experience with warehouse management or logistics systems
- An understanding of software deployment tools, deployment processes and best practices
- Experience working with GCP/AWS and/or other cloud platforms
- Experience with building Restful API web services
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.