takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented UI Team Lead to join our Product team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard- working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Head of UI.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Lead visual design strategy for several work-streams.
- Steer and lead the UI Designers, collaborating with other designers to make their work and the whole design team better.
- Support and lead the UI Designers by applying your craft.
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions with the rest of the product and executive teams.
- Mentor and inspire designers, give, and solicit feedback in order to continually raise the bar for quality.
- Collaborate closely with software engineers and establish workflow processes between UI design and developers to keep UI design and development output consistent and updates documented.
- Leading the hiring process of UI designers.
- Excellent communication (written, verbal & visual):
- Expert in articulating design decisions
- Use empathy in communication
- Excellent presentation skills
- Chairing workshops & meetings
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in information design, psychology or other related field preferred but not essential.
- 7+ years of experience in UI Design.
- Experience in managing or leading UI design teams.
- Portfolio of UI-focused work samples for web and mobile applications.
- Experience working across organizational boundaries to define, manage and prioritize work, with a collaborative and innovative approach.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Design Skills:
- Experience designing digital products and UI design systems
- Experience designing UI pattern libraries and style guides
- Experience working with company CIs and enriching CIs A solid understanding of iOS, Android or Web design patterns.
- An affinity for the latest trends in technology and great design
- Attention to detail doesn’t prevent you from shipping with confidence
- Collaborator and know how to bring others along
- Project & people management
- Incredibly proactive and optimistic
- Proven track record of applying research insights to UI design
- Own ideas and dreams of the place of UI in eCommerce in the future
- Strong portfolio that showcases your skills
- History of self-initiated projects
- Facilitation Skills:
- Facilitation of meetings, workshops and group sessions
- Project & people management
- Collaboration within team and across the organization
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.