tails.com is a tech-centric startup, using the power of technology combined with applied nutritional science to change the world of dog food for good.
8 million. That’s how many meals we deliver every single month, and we’re just getting started.
Imagine a world where what you feed your dog is being as carefully optimised as the recommendation engine for what to watch next on Netflix. Well that world exists - we’re creating it right now.
So where do you come in? Turn 8 million into 8 billion. Data and algorithms have been right at the core of tails.com from day one. We’re already using data in ways that have never been seen before in the pet industry and we’re only just scratching the surface of what’s possible. We need to feed out predictive models and insights team with higher volume, more timely data to help them steer our decisions. We need to crack open our tools used across our operational teams, from supply chain to customer experience, and pipe that insight directly to the people who need it most. At the centre of it all we need robust and reliable platforms which can support a multi-national, fast growing and constantly changing cutting edge data science and analytics operation.
In the first 12 months you will
- Play an active role as part of a team that is defining and delivering a data infrastructure architecture plan which builds the capability we need for the coming years. That will likely involve bringing online new storage and warehousing solutions, devising where and when to bring streaming and real time analytics into the picture, integrating with more 3rd party providers and evolving the platforms which run our analytics and data science models to make them more robust and scalable without taking the ownership of the logic away from the insights teams. Knowing when to build and when to buy will be key, and you’ll be as comfortable managing a 3rd party SaaS provider as you do a home-grown python application.
- Build scalable platforms. You’ve built data hungry production-level applications before with at least some recent experience with Python and have a good understanding of software design patterns (especially those which relate to large scale data processing in a distributed environment). You’ll use that to build well-documented and appropriately tested platforms that enable other teams to do what they need to do.
- Make sure the data keeps flowing. Ultimately this is in part an operational role, and you’ll be responsible for some systems which the business relies on to function. That means you’re ready to act, triage, debug and do what needs to be done when things don’t work as they should. It also means that you’ll always be looking for ways to improve the reliability and monitoring of our current stack (based mostly on Python, Airflow, MySQL, Snowflake & dbt - all running in the cloud on AWS). You’ll expertly walk the fine line between keeping the platform strong and stable as we scale, while enabling the teams who build on the platforms to be nimble and change their logic fast and often.
- Be the hoarder that likes to share. We’re a young company but have grown fast, and in places we’ve run with “just enough” data integration. As the level of our insight grows, you’ll work with our Data team to make sure we level up to collect and store every useful data point and help get the results of our analysis into as many places as possible. That could mean working with our frontend team or factory team to build instrumentation layers for our tools, it could mean leading the data integrations with new 3rd party platforms, but also working out how to get data science backed recommendations or predictions back out into our operational tools and planning systems for those teams to share in the benefits of the data and insight we have.
- Work collaboratively with your team, Analysts, Data Scientists and Developers on how to best make use of our data infrastructure and how to efficiently deal with large amounts of data. Typically that means supporting our data analysts with good software design practices, working alongside our other software engineering teams on high quality instrumentation to make sure we capture the right information at the right time and helping data scientists understand the platforms which their models and algorithms are running on so that we can use them to best advantage.
- Have fun. If you don’t get a kick out of (directly, and through your team) automating the movement of millions of data points around a constantly moving business without skipping a beat then this probably isn’t the role for you :)
What we’re offering
Work in an office full of dogs, with a team full of ideas. Plus these awesome benefits:
Reward - We offer a competitive salary and generous share award package
Learn – You’ll be challenged and given the development opportunities that you’ll only find in a high-growth business. We’ll also support you with more structured training.
Work – flexible core hours means that you can start anytime between 7-10am and finish 4-7pm (9 hours in total)
Time-out – 25 days’ paid holiday which will increase to 26 on your 2nd year anniversary and 27 on your 3rd year anniversary, plus an optional 5 days unpaid leave each year, we'll also give you a day off each year to volunteer in your community
Family - Extended paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave. Interest-free loan to help you with your rental flat deposit
Eat – Free breakfast and loads of healthy snacks every day, we have a special breakfast on Fridays!
Social – Regular team and social events, paid by tails.com
Health– Discounted gym membership and health, dental & optical insurance
Pension - Pension scheme and the option to salary sacrifice additional contributions
Travel – Interest-free season ticket loan and bike to work scheme
Have a dog? They’ll get some benefits too:
Free products – all of our tails.com products for free (for your dog). Or 50% off for one family member or friend
Dog-friendly office - there are plenty of pups to pat and daily lunchtime walks
Training – with a dog behaviourist, to help you and your dog thrive in the office
Time to bond – we offer a pooch plan which means you get extra flexibility in the first weeks of owning a dog, or if your dog is unwell