tails.com is a tech-centric startup, using the power of technology combined with applied nutritional science to change the world of dog food for good.
8 million. That’s how many meals we deliver every single month, and we’re just getting started.
Imagine a world where what you feed your dog is as carefully optimised as the recommendation engine for what to watch next on Netflix. Well that world exists - we’re creating it right now.
So where do you come in? Help turn 8 million into 8 billion. Our Cloud Infrastructure team are equal parts advocates, educators and consultants, working with our 30+ strong software engineering teams to build sound technical foundations along with a strong operations culture that’s robust and ready to scale. We’ll need bigger, more robust and increasingly distributed systems whilst retaining the agility and observability that enables us to deliver at pace.
Our tech stack is almost entirely Python 3, with Redis, DynamoDB, MySQL and S3 for data storage.
The platform is comprised of resilient and scalable applications and services hosted in and powered by AWS, with most applications and services running under Docker in ECS along with a smattering of AWS Lambda, and in the next few weeks we’ll launch our first production Kubernetes cluster running on EKS. Infrastructure is managed through a combination of CloudFormation, Terraform and Packer.
We have a propensity to ship early and often, so we push multiple deployments live per day through our CI / CD pipelines.
We're looking for someone who has a passion for technology, who gets a kick out of collaborating across the business to build robust infrastructure and smart tools that our engineers love.
The Software Engineering team has backgrounds in various programming languages. What is common is a hunger to learn new technology. Our tech stack is predominantly Python, so we expect you to learn Python. However, just like the technology we use, we are a company that is evolving constantly, and we expect you evolve and learn with us.
In this role, you will:
- provide on-demand cloud infrastructure expertise as a service to our teams and squads to deliver high impact features that our customers love and can rely on
- design, build and maintain best-in-class developer tools for environment creation, monitoring and alerting etc.
- lead operations best practices, ensuring appropriate use of automation for infrastructure setup / management
- guide, mentor and train other engineers, sharing your knowledge and helping to level up the DevOps skills throughout the engineering team
- maintain, monitor and enhance the security posture of our cloud-based infrastructure as part of our security advocates team
- plan and manage the costs of our AWS cloud infrastructure with an 18-month horizon
- contribute, both in ideas and execution, to the ongoing evolution of the platform architecture
- refine the skills and techniques necessary to take the next step in your career, whether that’s leading a team, architecting complex systems or just being the best developer you can be
Extra credit if you...
- feel queasy at the thought of working without proper CI/CD
- are cautiously excited about the impending serverless revolution
- consider automated infrastructure provisioning a solved problem
- give back to Open-Source as a maintainer or contributor
Work in an office full of dogs, with a team full of ideas. Plus these awesome benefits:
- Work – flexible core hours means that you can start anytime between 7-10am and finish 4-7pm (9 hours in total)
- Eat – Free breakfast and loads of healthy snacks every day, we have a special breakfast on Fridays!
- Social – Regular team and social events, paid by tails.com
- Dog-friendly office - there are plenty of pups to pat and daily lunchtime walks