We’re tails.com – experts in keeping dogs happy and healthy. We do that by creating the perfect tails.com recipe for each and every dog, asking owners a few simple questions – and then delivering straight to the door. Algorithms and data have been at the centre of what we’re doing from day one. Join, and you’ll be right at the heart of a business that’s not just changing the world of pet food – but also the way that data is used in pet food for ever.
That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for someone with a love of data, who likes nothing more than getting stuck into a complex problem and finding great insights. Our customers and their dogs are at the heart of everything we do, and we’re looking for somebody who wants to use their analytical skills to change the world of pet food for good.
In this role, you’ll have the freedom to explore new ideas, and try out new techniques to build our understanding of what makes our dogs and their owners tick. This will include:
- uncovering key insights in our data with great analysis and data science techniques, finding actionable insights and communicating these to the rest of the business with clear visualisations backed up with robust data analysis and statistics
- working with our customer support team, using machine learning and NLP to help automate how we handle incoming communications, helping them spend time on what really matters
- using our historical ordering data to understand what makes our food taste great, and using this to feedback into our blend algorithm and recommended wet food selection for our customers
Whether or not you already have data science or hacking expertise right now, you’re great with numbers and statistics and you’re always eager to learn more. You understand the importance of business context and know that great pieces of work rarely start with a clean data set and a path free of obstacles. But with the support of an experienced data team, and your natural curiosity for all things data, you’ll be able to really grow as a data scientist at tails.com.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have…
- a strong maths and statistics background. You are confident in hypothesis testing, understand different approaches and the benefits and trade-offs of each
- experience in SQL, or be willing to learn before you start
- some experience in coding, preferably in Python or R. You may not be an expert developer yet, but are learning every day and always looking to improve
- some machine learning and data science experience. Whether through Kaggle competitions, academic studies or in the real world, you understand the basics. You are happy dealing with continuous, categorical and missing data, and are confident that you can apply your knowledge to a new problem
- the ability to tell a great story with data, communicating insights to others and recommending a clear course of action
What’s in it for you?
- Fantastic development opportunities within a high-growth business
- Learning & Development budget for training, conferences, books, etc.
- 25 days of holiday which increases up to 26 days after 2 years of service and 27 days after 3 years of service
- Option to take an additional 5 days unpaid leave per year
- Extended paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave (one month extra of 90% pay)
- Discounted health & dental insurance
- Pension scheme and opportunity to salary sacrifice
- Referral programme, £1000 for each hired referral who passes probation
- Interest-free loan to help with seasonal train ticket
- Flexible working hours (start 7-10 am, finish 4-7 pm)
- Flexible working requests (e.g. working part-time)
- Bike to work scheme
- Regular team and social events, paid by tails.com
- Fully stocked kitchen - free breakfast, coffee, tea, fruit & snacks
If you have a dog:
- Free dog food for your dog, or 50% for a family member or friend
- Dog-friendly office
- Dog behaviour training in the office
- And if you’re about to get a dog, or your dog is not well, you can request some extra flexibility during a temporary period of time to spend extra time with your dog