tails.com is a tech-centric startup, using the power of technology combined with applied nutritional science to change the world of dog food for good.
We launched to the public in July 2014. We’re proud members of the TechCity Future Fifty, a prestigious network of the UK's fastest growing tech companies, and are #4 in the Startups 100 index of exciting UK startups to watch. We also scooped a whole bunch of awards at the 2016 and 2017 Startups Awards, including Tech Business of the Year.
4 million. That’s how many meals we deliver every single month, and we’re just getting started.
Imagine a world where what you feed your dog is being as carefully optimised as the recommendation engine for what to watch next on Netflix. Well that world exists - we’re creating it right now.
So where do you come in? Turn 4 million into 4 billion. We’ll need new nutrition algorithms that handle more types of food. We’ll need better pricing engines for value engineering. And most importantly we’ll need to keep making sure our customer experience is top of the line in a constantly evolving E-commerce world.
We're looking for someone who has a passion for technology, who gets a kick out of collaborating across the business to build products and features that our customers love.
Our current team has backgrounds in various programming languages. What is common is a hunger to learn new technology. Our tech stack is predominantly Python, so we expect you to learn Python. However, just like the technology we use, we are a company that is evolving constantly, and we expect you evolve and learn with us.
In this role you will...
- build robust backend services as part of our event-driven architecture
- collaborate in autonomous squads to deliver high impact features that our customers love
- lead best practices ensuring appropriate testing and great software engineering
- contribute, both in ideas and execution, to the ongoing evolution of the platform architecture
- guiding and mentoring other members of the team, sharing knowledge and challenging appropriately…
- refine the skills and techniques necessary to take the next step in your career, whether that’s leading a team, architecting complex systems or just being the best developer you can be
Our tech stack is Python (Flask + SQLAlchemy + Celery) on the backend along with a smattering of Go, with Redis, DynamoDB, MySQL and S3 for data storage.
The platform is comprised of resilient and scalable applications and services powered by AWS with a mixture of Elastic Beanstalk, AWS Lambda, CloudFormation and EC2 Container Service (introducing Kubernetes with EKS).
We have a propensity to ship early and often, so we push multiple deployments live per day through our CI/CD pipelines using Codeship.
Extra credit if you...
- wrangle ES6 and frameworks like React, Vue.js and Angular like a pro
- have experience taming build tools like Webpack and Gulp
- feel queasy at the thought of working without proper CI/CD
- give back to Open-Source as a maintainer or contributor
What we’re offering
- competitive salary
- 23 days of holiday (+1 for each year of employment up until 27 days in total)
- very lucrative share awards package
- pension scheme
- flexible working hours (start 7-10 am, finish 4-7 pm)
- work from home up to 2 days per week
- bike to work scheme & childcare vouchers
- a £2,500 budget to buy whatever development kit you need
- a personal development budget for training, conferences, books, etc.
- regular internal hackdays, after-work activities and team events
- dog-friendly office & free dog food for your dog, 50% for family and friends
- regular social activities, cinema trips, pub quizzes, ten-pin bowling etc.
- fully stocked kitchen - free breakfast, coffee, tea, fruit & snacks
- based in Richmond-upon-Thames, multiple transport links; only 10 mins from Clapham Junction, 20 mins from Waterloo