Do Epic Science
TAE is the world’s first private fusion energy company, founded in 1998 to commercialize the cleanest, safest, most affordable, and sustainable form of carbon-free power. We are applying science and engineering to design transformational technologies. Whether it's harnessing fusion through the science of stars, making exponential leaps in power efficiency, or innovating medical care with a novel cancer treatment: We're turning the promise of science into reality.
We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about realizing our mission: A future where all people have affordable access to reliable, abundant, and environmentally friendly fusion-generated electricity.
About The Role
We currently have an opening at our Irvine, CA (Orange County) facility for a Senior Mechanical Engineer. The successful candidate will have the ability to use depth of mechanical engineering knowledge and experience to develop cutting edge technology. The successful candidate will have general knowledge of material selection, structural integrity assessment, heat transfer, and basic electromagnetic theory to achieve the goals of the position. Demonstrated ability to use basic project management principles to coordinate small project teams is also required.
- Coordinate and delivery of significant, high value systems/sub-systems.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Physics and Operations groups to clarify and define requirements.
- Coordinate and organize design reviews.
- Organize multidisciplinary project teams and make estimates for cost and schedule.
- Coordinate with electrical, controls, design engineers and engineering analysis staff.
- Write and/or review specifications and procedures.
- Locate and select qualified manufacturers.
- Some limited travel required – 10%
- A combination of at least 12 years relevant experience in large component design and fabrication for technical industries such as aerospace, nuclear, automotive, petroleum processing, proton therapy, national laboratories, or similar is required. Exceptions may be made for well qualified candidates with desired skills described below or more experience may be necessary for those requiring development.
- Extensive experience in a research and development environment.
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals including basic physics, electromagnetism, statics/dynamics, basic circuit theory, structural mechanics, controls, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, heat, and mass transfer.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member or coordinator of a team/workgroup. This also includes an ability to perform unusual engineering tasks for which literature research may be required and development of new methods, analyses, or tools.
- Willingness to be “hands-on.” Participation in project installation is expected to ensure the engineering intent is respected.
- Experience using SolidWorks and/or Catia is preferred.
- Finite element analysis (FEA) familiarity (such as ANSYS or Vector Fields) is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of basic nuclear and particle physics or a relevant physics degree in addition to engineering is helpful.
- Working in cramped places
- Required: B.S.
- Preferred: M.S. or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field.
Imagination, skill, and will
We are a diverse team of over 500 engineers, scientists, professionals, Maxwell Prize winners, and big thinkers from more than 40 countries with a track record of delivering on the innovative ways science can lead humanity into a brighter era. We are not afraid to envision a future where fusion and science can transform our world.
What you’ll get with us
- Generous benefits such as Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (K) with company match, paid vacation + sick time, companywide December holiday, wellness program (for full-time employees)
- Payment rewards: For referring talent, novel research, and patents
- A collaborative environment: An organization where talents and interests can plug in to different groups throughout the organization
- Potential for equity participation
- HQ in Southern California
- Employee events on and off-site
- A commitment to upholding and growing an inclusive organization
TAE Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
We ensure all individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us email@example.com to request accommodations or request more information.