Do Epic Science
TAE is the world’s first private fusion energy company, founded in 1998 to commercialize the cleanest, safest, most affordable, and sustainable form of carbon-free power. We are applying science and engineering to design transformational technologies. Whether it's harnessing fusion through the science of stars, making exponential leaps in power efficiency, or innovating medical care with a novel cancer treatment: We're turning the promise of science into reality.
We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about realizing our mission: A future where all people have affordable access to reliable, abundant, and environmentally friendly fusion-generated electricity.
About The Role
This person will be responsible for the high-voltage and high-current power supplies which are needed to power various subsystems of our Fusion reactor. The power electronics engineer will present knowledge, expertise, and product ownership in close collaboration with different teams of experienced scientists and engineers in a multi-disciplinary environment. As a key team member, the power electronics engineer will receive requirements from other teams and conducts the development process from the concept topology design, detailed simulations, technical analyses, main component selection, control algorithm development, as well as lab prototyping, validation, and testing. The candidate will also work closely with the suppliers and contract manufacturers to ensure of clear communication of technical specifications and maintain guardianship of the requirements throughout the product manufacturing, commissioning, and operation cycles. Among various team members, this person will closely collaborate with scientists, electrical and system control engineers, mechanical engineers, software engineers, project managers, and technical personnel to ensure successful system implementation in an integrated fashion.
Ownership of the design and implementation of high-voltage and high-current power supply systems composed of power electronic modules with essential responsibilities as follows:
- Deeply understands and explores technical inputs from physics and other engineering departments and implements into those requirements.
- Forms conceptual designs and proposes optimal power supply topologies capable of meeting the technical specifications as well as other forcing requirements such as space and power limitations within the overall system cost targets.
- Performs detailed simulation studies and presents technical analyses of the proposed power supply system under various load profiles and operation scenarios. Also, in close collaboration with other engineering teams, continues working to improve the proposed solution.
- Performs control system design and development to meet the performance and regulation requirements. Also, works closely with embedded design engineers for seamless implementation of the control system.
- Develops reliable logics and algorithms for protection against faults under various operation scenarios.
- Performs market research for the selection of appropriate components including but not limited to passive components, semiconductor devices, current and voltage transducers, high-voltage cables, bus bars, etc.
- Develops and maintains high-fidelity simulation platforms for hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) implementation and performs technical analyses under various operation scenarios.
- Develops lab prototypes for performance testing and control integration.
- Performs system bring-up, troubleshooting, debugging, and system commissioning.
- Effectively communicates internally and externally through preparation of technical presentations, specification documents, as well as design reports.
- Acts as a responsive subject matter expert (SME) in close collaboration with various internal stakeholders as well as internal collaborators.
- Acts as a responsive SME in close collaboration with external collaborators including suppliers and contract manufacturers to communicate requirements and conduct detailed design compliance verification.
- During the preparation of contracts, acts as the SME and point of contact in close collaboration with the contract manufacturers as well as the procurement, legal, and finance departments.
- Master's or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on Power Electronics with 2+ years of experience in the Design of Power Electronics Systems.
- 2+ years of power converter systems simulation and analyses experience.
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of power electronics including DC-DC, DC-AC, and AC-DC converters. Knowledge and experience with modular multi-level high power conversion systems are highly preferred.
- Experience and understanding of control and modulation methods for various topologies especially modular multi-level power conversion systems.
- Capable of creating/maintaining high-fidelity models, simulations, and analysis tools to solve engineering problems using MATLAB/Simulink (preferred), PLECs, PSIM, or similar engineering tools.
- Strong technical communication skills with exceptional sense of ownership and team-working attitude.
- Sufficient skills in working with lab equipment including oscilloscope, power supplies, digital meters, voltage, and current probes.
- CAD design and engineering drawings (SolidWorks preferred).
- PCB design (Altium preferred) and fast prototyping skills.
- LabView and test automation.
- Performing and supervising characterization tests on prototypes and components.
Imagination, skill, and will
We are a diverse team of over 500 engineers, scientists, professionals, Maxwell Prize winners, and big thinkers from more than 40 countries with a track record of delivering on the innovative ways science can lead humanity into a brighter era. We are not afraid to envision a future where fusion and science can transform our world.
What you’ll get with us
- Generous benefits such as Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (K) with company match, paid vacation + sick time, companywide December holiday, wellness program (for full-time employees)
- Payment rewards: For referring talent, novel research, and patents
- A collaborative environment: An organization where talents and interests can plug in to different groups throughout the organization
- Potential for equity participation
- HQ in Southern California
- Employee events on and off-site
- A commitment to upholding and growing an inclusive organization
TAE Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
We ensure all individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodations or request more information.