Do Epic Science
TAE is the world’s first private fusion energy company, founded in 1998 to commercialize the cleanest, safest, most affordable, and sustainable form of carbon-free power. We are applying science and engineering to design transformational technologies. Whether it's harnessing fusion through the science of stars, making exponential leaps in power efficiency, or innovating medical care with a novel cancer treatment: We're turning the promise of science into reality.
We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about realizing our mission: A future where all people have affordable access to reliable, abundant, and environmentally friendly fusion-generated electricity.
About The Role
The Lead Biasing Systems Scientist manages and participates in the Biasing Systems Group, which focuses on developing and maintaining techniques and systems of electrical control of plasma properties via boundary interactions. The group is part of the Experiment Section in TAE’s Fusion division, and the Lead Biasing Systems Scientist is responsible for its performance. Several staff scientists who are experts in high voltage systems and sensors, plasma rotation modeling, and experimental design make up the group. In addition to working on experimental biasing systems and techniques, the Lead Biasing Systems Scientist provides overall planning and guidance for the group based on objectives set by the Head of Experiment Systems and supports, develops, manages, and leads the group members. This includes making recommendations on hiring, promotion, and staffing decisions, conducting performance reviews, etc. The lead scientist is also expected to conduct individual research and participate in or lead projects on a matrix basis as needed. They will also occasionally spend time on outwards facing activities like representing TAE and recruiting new talent.
- Facilitate and participate in a world class experimental fusion program.
- Lead maintenance and improvement of existing high voltage plasma-facing electrode systems.
- Lead maintenance and improvement of existing sensor suites for monitoring currents and voltages.
- Lead design and testing of new materials and geometries for electrode systems.
- Lead experimental efforts to understand plasma response to electrical control of boundaries.
- Organize the Biasing Systems Group for high performance.
- Motivate the staff and ensure clear, consistent communication.
- Evaluate the performance of the group leads and the section overall.
- Develop both technical and leadership talent throughout the section.
- Demonstrate and promote the TAE Core Values, Rules of the Road, and our Culture of Safety.
- At least 5 years of experience in plasma scientific research including laboratory experiments, diagnostics, and data analysis
- Experience with various high voltage plasma-electrode systems plasma sources; diagnostics; and electron, ion, or neutral beams.
- Experience with high voltage vacuum feedthroughs and conditioning processes
- Familiarity with plasma–electrode interactions and plasma sheath structures
- Understanding of the application of tools, test equipment, and process control such as voltmeters, oscilloscopes, varieties of current and voltage sensors, Hi-pot testers, etc.
- Experience with surface preparation for high vacuum.
- Experience using MS Office Suite
- Experience with project collaboration platforms and document management systems preferred.
- Experience with scientific analysis languages (Python, Matlab, IDL, etc.) preferred
- Required: M.S. degree in Physics or a closely related field.
- Preferred: Ph.D. degree in Physics or a closely related field.
Imagination, skill, and will
We are a diverse team of over 500 engineers, scientists, professionals, Maxwell Prize winners, and big thinkers from more than 40 countries with a track record of delivering on the innovative ways science can lead humanity into a brighter era. We are not afraid to envision a future where fusion and science can transform our world.
What you’ll get with us
- Generous benefits such as Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (K) with company match, paid vacation + sick time, companywide December holiday, wellness program (for full-time employees)
- Payment rewards: For referring talent, novel research, and patents
- A collaborative environment: An organization where talents and interests can plug in to different groups throughout the organization
- Potential for equity participation
- HQ in Southern California
- Employee events on and off-site
- A commitment to upholding and growing an inclusive organization
TAE Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
We ensure all individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodations or request more information.