Do Epic Science
TAE is the world’s first private fusion energy company, founded in 1998 to commercialize the cleanest, safest, most affordable, and sustainable form of carbon-free power. We are applying science and engineering to design transformational technologies. Whether it's harnessing fusion through the science of stars, making exponential leaps in power efficiency, or innovating medical care with a novel cancer treatment: We're turning the promise of science into reality.
We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about realizing our mission: A future where all people have affordable access to reliable, abundant, and environmentally friendly fusion-generated electricity.
About The Role
We currently have an opening at our Foothill Ranch, CA (Orange County) facility for an Experimental Physicist – Biasing. This position is a member of the Biasing Group in the Experimental Section of TAE’s Fusion Division. The successful candidate will have 1-6 years of relevant experience and accept responsibilities for conducting scientific research in the field of biasing the scrape-off layer of fusion plasmas. The Experimental Physicist will concentrate on carrying out experiments on the TAE fusion facility and on satellite experimental setups dedicated to study physics and technology of high voltage biasing for improved confinement of fusion plasmas. This is a full-time position.
- Facilitate and participate in a world class experimental fusion program
- Maintain and improve the existing biasing system and participate in design of new biasing systems for future experiments
- Deep dive into technology of high voltage electrodes in plasmas and power systems required to drive such electrodes
- Plan, prepare, and conduct experiments on satellite experimental setups designed to study specific aspects of biasing
- Design, calibrate, commission, and troubleshoot wide variety of plasma diagnostic tools
- Perform analysis of experimental data and prepare reports on findings
- Work with experimental leads to improve understanding of basic physical processes in biased plasmas
- Demonstrate and promote the TAE Core Values, Rules of the Road, and our Culture of Safety.
- At least 1 year of experience in plasma scientific research including laboratory experiments, diagnostics, and data analysis
- Experience with high voltage (>1kV) and high power (>10kW) systems
- Understanding of the application of tools, test equipment, and process control such as:
- Power electronics
- Plasma diagnostics
- Voltmeters, O-scopes, Data acquisition systems (NI, PLC)
- Vacuum hardware and gauges
- Experience using MS Office Suite
- Experience with data acquisition and data processing software (LabView)
- Experience with scientific analysis languages (Python, Matlab, IDL, etc.) preferred
- Familiarity with design engineering software (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc.) preferred
- Experience with project collaboration platforms and document management systems (Jira, Confluence) preferred.
- Required Education: M.S. degree in Physics or a closely related field.
- Preferred Education: Ph.D. degree in Physics or a closely related field.
Imagination, skill, and will
We are a diverse team of over 500 engineers, scientists, professionals, Maxwell Prize winners, and big thinkers from more than 40 countries with a track record of delivering on the innovative ways science can lead humanity into a brighter era. We are not afraid to envision a future where fusion and science can transform our world.
What you’ll get with us
- Generous benefits such as Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (K) with company match, paid vacation + sick time, companywide December holiday, wellness program (for full-time employees)
- Payment rewards: For referring talent, novel research, and patents
- A collaborative environment: An organization where talents and interests can plug in to different groups throughout the organization
- Potential for equity participation
- HQ in Southern California
- Employee events on and off-site
- A commitment to upholding and growing an inclusive organization
TAE Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
We ensure all individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodations or request more information.