Do Epic Science
TAE is the world’s first private fusion energy company, founded in 1998 to commercialize the cleanest, safest, most affordable, and sustainable form of carbon-free power. We are applying science and engineering to design transformational technologies. Whether it's harnessing fusion through the science of stars, making exponential leaps in power efficiency, or innovating medical care with a novel cancer treatment: We're turning the promise of science into reality.
We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about realizing our mission: A future where all people have affordable access to reliable, abundant, and environmentally friendly fusion-generated electricity.
About The Role
We have an opening at our Foothill Ranch, CA (Orange County) facility for a Senior Design Engineer who will be responsible for the design and development of mechanical systems to support a variety of TAE’s R&D efforts and commercial ventures. Projects will vary in size and complexity from simple machined components to large structural weldments to cutting-edge electro-mechanical assemblies. Successful applicants will be creative, energetic, hands-on, and technology-savvy with a passion for inventing and tinkering in a fast-paced environment. Ideal candidates will have specialized experience in at least one of the following areas: high vacuum (< 1x10^-5 torr), plasma/accelerator systems, high voltage design (>1 kV), advanced fabrication and welding techniques, large-scale prototyping and testing, diagnostic instrumentation, pressure vessels, magnetics, cryogenics, refractory materials/high heat flux systems, and metal additive manufacturing. Any prior positions at national labs, universities, tech startups, or other large-scale R&D facilities should be noted on your resume
- Apply technical expertise, commensurate with training and job experience, in the design and development of complex new technologies.
- Complete a variety of 2D and 3D CAD design assignments, including modeling parts and assemblies as well as creating layout and detail drawings from verbal or written instructions using SolidWorks.
- Coordinate and consult with other staff to design, layout, or detail components and systems and resolve design challenges and other emergent issues.
- Produce and maintain working drawings, detail drawings, bills of material, and documentation.
- Coordinate with outside vendors to fabricate parts and procure equipment in accordance with your drawings and design specifications, including shop visits when needed.
- Quickly produce conceptual CAD models from sketches and/or loosely defined requirements when necessary.
- Collaborate and communicate well with engineering, physics/science, project management, quality and procurement groups.
- Perform hands-on work to assemble and install designed components when appropriate or serve as a technical lead in the oversight of installation activities.
- 8+ years of design, hands-on professional mechanical design experience in engineering roles of progressing complexity and responsibility
- Under general guidance, perform various engineering duties requiring the exercise of judgment and application of standard engineering principles and practices.
- Ability to take projects from concept through installation, interfacing with engineers, physicists, and technicians and integrating a variety of design inputs.
- Broad familiarity with mechanical assemblies and fasteners; able to think through how a design will be manufactured, assembled, installed, and maintained.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact with a multi-disciplined project team, remaining flexible and receptive to design changes as required by the evolution of the project.
- Working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (ASME Y14.5M).
- Recent experience with SolidWorks or other 3D CAD software (1,000+ hrs) and preferably a PDM or PLM design change management software.
- Ability to generate detailed design solutions and drawings for mechanical and electrical systems and products using CAD software
- Working knowledge of a variety of engineering materials and fabrication methods.
- Preferred: B.S. Engineering field, Masters Preferred
Imagination, skill, and will
We are a diverse team of over 500 engineers, scientists, professionals, Maxwell Prize winners, and big thinkers from more than 40 countries with a track record of delivering on the innovative ways science can lead humanity into a brighter era. We are not afraid to envision a future where fusion and science can transform our world.
What you’ll get with us
- Generous benefits such as Medical, Dental, Vision, 401 (K) with company match, paid vacation + sick time, companywide December holiday, wellness program (for full-time employees)
- Payment rewards: For referring talent, novel research, and patents
- A collaborative environment: An organization where talents and interests can plug in to different groups throughout the organization
- Potential for equity participation
- HQ in Southern California
- Employee events on and off-site
- A commitment to upholding and growing an inclusive organization
TAE Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
We ensure all individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us email@example.com to request accommodations or request more information.