Welcome systems thinkers. System Inc. builds software to help the world see and solve anything as a system. We are a Public Benefit Corporation driven by purpose and shaped by values. We hire systems thinkers who are motivated by our purpose, share our values, and have the skills to advance our mission.
System is hiring a mission-oriented Data Scientist to work on a large-scale, open, and collaborative data project focused on global health and pandemic prevention. COVID-19 revealed that the way we’ve organized the world and our information — in silos — is not well suited to an age of rising complexity and interdependence. We’ve all now experienced firsthand how it limits our ability to predict outcomes, make decisions, mitigate risks, and innovate when we need it the most. Come help us and our partners in the non-profit and academic sectors shape a possible solution.
- Gather and build models predicting disease outcomes and pandemic emergence
- Collaborate with researchers and data scientists in global health to design and build better ways of linking data and knowledge
- Improve the suite of libraries and tools that System has built for researchers and data scientists working in global health
- Possibly impact how the world prevents a future pandemic like COVID
- Coded (Python, R, or TypeScript) and are willing to do a lot of it
- Experience working with a variety of data sources and model types in global health
- Experience using the latest technologies in machine learning
- A solid understanding of quantitative methods in public health
- An understanding and have demonstrated the trade-off between accuracy and explainability of algorithms
- Familiarity with production workflows of machine learning models and are comfortable working with cloud-based solutions like SageMaker
- A great statistical foundation and the curiosity to continue learning
System helps teams discover data, share insights, and build knowledge. Designed and built for the data-first era, System is where knowledge lives. Today, System is used by data and analytics teams and their stakeholders in sectors ranging from healthcare to financial services to technology.
We aspire to help the world see itself differently and build a more responsible and values-driven model of a tech company. We are backed by top-tier VCs in Silicon Valley and New York and leading angel investors, and founded by the former VP Data at Spotify. To learn more about what motivates our social mission, we invite you to read: http://www.brokennature.org/redesigning-the-system/
We believe in the power of small, autonomous, interdisciplinary, and diverse teams; in agile development; and in leading with values, first principles, and clear high-level priorities backed by data. We believe in cultivating a growth mindset for our team — always learning, improving, being challenged, and having opportunities for professional and personal development.
System Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to foster a workplace, in person and online, free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.