Welcome systems thinkers. System Inc. builds software to help the world see and solve anything as a system. We are a Public Benefit Corporation driven by purpose and shaped by values. We hire systems thinkers who are motivated by our purpose, share our values, and have the skills to advance our mission.
System is looking for an experienced Ontologist to join our new Global Public Health team. COVID-19 revealed that the way we’ve organized the world and our information — in silos — is not well suited to an age of rising complexity and interdependence. With your help, we aim to leverage and relate various taxonomies to help contextualize and predict future threats before they arise.
- Research and relate various ontologies and taxonomies that span the context for disease
- Work closely with our Global Public Health Program Lead and data scientists to define an ontology for global public health on System, leveraging the platform’s unique information and data architecture
- Identify semantic links to other related global issues like education and poverty and the prevailing ontologies in those areas
- Build processes and procedures to integrate and update taxonomies in the System environment
- 3+ years work experience in knowledge management and information sciences, preferably in a health-related space
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, and collaboration skills
- A degree in library science, information management, or equivalent professional experience
- A propensity to apply systems thinking in your work and life
System helps teams discover data, share insights, and build knowledge. Designed and built for the data-first era, System is where knowledge lives. Today, System is used by data and analytics teams and their stakeholders in sectors ranging from healthcare to financial services to technology.
We aspire to help the world see itself differently and build a more responsible and values-driven model of a tech company. We are backed by top-tier VCs in Silicon Valley and New York and leading angel investors, and founded by the former VP Data at Spotify. To learn more about what motivates our social mission, we invite you to read: http://www.brokennature.org/redesigning-the-system/
We believe in the power of small, autonomous, interdisciplinary, and diverse teams; in agile development; and in leading with values, first principles, and clear high-level priorities backed by data. We believe in cultivating a growth mindset for our team — always learning, improving, being challenged, and having opportunities for professional and personal development.
System Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to foster a workplace, in person and online, free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.