We’re expanding the design team at a small but growing startup with the mission of “relating everything to help the world see and solve anything as a system.”
System was founded by a scientist who cares deeply about design. The design team is led by a data visualization pioneer who believes that System is at the forefront of designing for data.
For this role, we’re looking for a designer to take on a senior role in strategizing, crafting and refining our product experience. At System, our product design team works at the nexus of technical feasibility, product value, usability, and delight. We work with a multi-disciplinary team to envision new features and continually improve System’s user experience, at every level. We leverage design thinking to craft usable interfaces and develop visual constructs for abstract scientific concepts. We think systemically to architect solutions that work at scale. Most importantly, we are collaborators who continually learn from our peers, solicit feedback and improve our designs based on the input we gather.
- Join a small but growing team that is responsible for the design of the System product (and System brand) and contribute your talents to the UI and UX of System’s product
- Help create and refine storytelling around product needs and opportunities
- Coordinate with multiple stakeholders, engineers, product managers and/or data scientists
- Design user flows, prototypes and visual design systems for a variety of devices and platforms
- Design for expert-level users and/or enterprise products
- Design with a broad digital ecosystem in mind (integrations, email, push notifications, etc.)
- Conduct and leverage user research to inform design decisions
- Work in an agile software development environment
- A natural systems thinker in design and exhibit a mastery of visual, UI, and UX design skills
- Fast but thoughtful, open to feedback and game to revise until we get it right
- Confident in your skills but always open to learning
- Interested in designing experiences that are information and data heavy
- Someone who takes guidance well but is also self-directed and thrives on a good amount of autonomy
- Someone who values clarity, simplicity and elegance in your work
- Comfortable sharing in-progress work
- Interested in data science and, ideally, passionate about data visualization
- A great communicator and collaborator
- An online portfolio of work with clear indications of your role in each project
- 5+ years of interaction / product design experience
- A bachelor’s or master’s design degree (preferred but not required)
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders, engineers, and product managers
- Experience designing user flows, prototypes and visual designs for a variety of devices and platforms
- Experience designing with a broad digital ecosystem in mind
- A human centered design process and know how to leverage user research to inform design decisions
- Work that is rule-based in some way that allows it to scale effectively
- Proficiency in most standard design tools (Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch, InVision)
You ideally have
- Familiarity with Data Science, Machine Learning and/or quantitative analysis
- Experience with data visualization in scalable application contexts
- MS or MFA in HCI, IxD or related field
We aspire to help the world see itself differently and build a more responsible and values-driven model of a tech company. We are backed by top-tier VCs in Silicon Valley and New York and leading angel investors, and founded by the former VP Data at Spotify. To learn more about what motivates our social mission, we invite you to read: http://www.brokennature.org/redesigning-the-system/
We believe in the power of small, autonomous, interdisciplinary, and diverse teams; in agile development; and in leading with values, first principles, and clear high-level priorities backed by data.
We provide a fun and stimulating work environment, flexible hours and remote work, equity, and competitive benefits. We believe in cultivating a growth mindset for our team — always learning, improving, being challenged, and having opportunities for professional and personal development.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.