We’re expanding the design team at a small but growing startup with the mission of “relating everything to help the world see and solve anything as a system.”
System was founded by a scientist who cares deeply about design. The design team is led by a data visualization pioneer who believes that System is at the forefront of designing for data.
For this role, we’re looking for the type of designer who might not have imagined they would ever join a data science focused startup or even a tech company –-- someone who, above all, cannot compromise craft, no matter the constraints of the medium in which they are working.
- Join a small but growing team that is responsible for the design of the System product and System brand and contribute design excellence to both
- Work across product and marketing materials, crafting solutions for online, digital and print
- Help develop and maintain our in-progress design systems (for both product and brand)
- A natural systems thinker in design and exhibit a mastery of visual design skills
- A typography nerd and perfectionist
- Someone who wants online design to look as good as print
- Obsessed with kerning and leading and will help build typographic perfection into the product’s design system
- Fast but thoughtful, open to feedback and game to revise until we get it right
- Confident in your skills but always open to learning
- Interested in designing experiences that are information and data heavy
- Someone who takes guidance well but is also self directed and thrives on a good amount of autonomy
- Someone who values clarity, simplicity and elegance in your work
- Comfortable sharing in-progress work
- Curious about data science and curious, in general
- A great communicator and collaborator
- An online portfolio of work with clear indications of your role in each project
- 2+ of design experience that are ideally information and/or brand focused
- A bachelor’s or master’s design degree (preferred but not required)
- Some data-focused portfolio projects or at least an interest in data visualization
- Some UI-focused portfolio projects or at least an interest in UI design
- Work that is rule-based in some way that allows it to scale effectively
- Expertise in most standard design tools (Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch, InVision)
We aspire to help the world see itself differently and build a more responsible and values-driven model of a tech company. We are backed by top-tier VCs in Silicon Valley and New York and leading angel investors, and founded by the former VP Data at Spotify. To learn more about what motivates our social mission, we invite you to read: http://www.brokennature.org/redesigning-the-system/
We believe in the power of small, autonomous, interdisciplinary, and diverse teams; in agile development; and in leading with values, first principles, and clear high-level priorities backed by data.
We provide a fun and stimulating work environment, flexible hours and remote work, equity, and competitive benefits. We believe in cultivating a growth mindset for our team — always learning, improving, being challenged, and having opportunities for professional and personal development.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.