Please note that although all positions at Synctera are remote, candidates must be located and authorized to work in the US or Canada as a precondition of employment. Synctera does not sponsor applicants for work visas.
What We're Doing
At Synctera, we're closing the gap between community banks and FinTechs. Empowering the fastest growing, secure, and scalable FinTech-as-a-Service (FaaS) platform, we tear down integration complexity and build bridges. There are too many FinTechs that need access to a sponsor bank and too few sponsor banks with which to partner, leading to a lack of pricing transparency and less than favorable pricing terms. We’re here to help change that by guiding all parties through the onboarding process and beyond.
We are looking for interesting, curious, wickedly smart people who are ready to jump in and run with our fast-growing team. If you want to have fun at work again, collaborate with some of the sharpest people in the industry, understand the Bank/FinTech ecosystem, and love to win, read on!
What We’re Looking For
As our Head of Consumer Compliance, you will be the program leader and subject matter expert on consumer compliance for the Synctera platform, which brings together banks and fintechs. You will work with our fintechs to help them build their consumer compliance programs and work with corresponding sponsor banks to advise them to build, oversee, and monitor their partner fintechs. You will also interface with our internal stakeholders (e.g. Product and Operations teams) and other external stakeholders (e.g. regulators and auditors) to implement the program.
In this role, you will work closely with the company’s Chief Compliance Officer. We will rely on your knowledge of changing regulations to ensure the integrity and adequacy of our compliance management system. This is a very hands-on role! We seek a candidate who can collaborate well with other departments and communicate well across varying disciplines and with a wide variety of stakeholders. Your ability to thrive in a hyper growth technology startup environment will be a critical factor to your success in this role.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement, and execute a comprehensive, scalable consumer compliance program for the Synctera ecosystem that includes clear roles and responsibilities between sponsor bank, fintech, and Synctera;
- Design and implement the disputes and complaint management process in accordance with Regulation E to manage consumer disputes and complaints and associated reporting;
- Develop and maintain guidelines regarding marketing and customer facing materials for our sponsor banks and fintechs in adherence to applicable regulations;
- Work collaboratively with our sponsor banks to enhance their compliance management programs, which may include reviewing and revising policies, standard operating procedures, and designing controls related to consumer protection compliance, complaints and regulatory change management;
- Collaborate with sales and marketing teams during the initial sales process to assess consumer compliance risk levels of banks and fintechs prior to onboarding;
- Assist with third party vendor risk reviews, mitigation, and due diligence;
- Have a finger on the pulse of new and upcoming applicable regulations to ensure that Synctera’s compliance programs remain current and reflect all required and best practices guidance, and support the dissemination of these learnings to our sponsor banks and fintech partners;
- Interface as Synctera’s subject matter expert regarding consumer compliance and protection with investors, partners, auditors, and regulators;
- Provide regular updates to the Chief Compliance Officer for compliance reports to senior management, the board of directors and partner banks;
- Additional responsibilities may include reviewing fintech marketing collateral, conducting risk assessments internally and regarding fintechs, designing compliance reporting workflows from fintech to sponsor bank, among others!
What You'll Bring:
- 12+ years of relevant experience, with 5+ of those at a regulated financial entity (e.g., MSB/MTL, bank) and/or fintech environment in a consumer protection regulation role;
- Working knowledge of applicable regulatory guidelines (e.g., UDAAP/UDAP, ECOA, FCRA, TILA, FDCPA, EFTA, OFAC, GLBA/privacy, SCRA, Reg E, Reg Z, Reg DD, and the full suite “Alphabet” regulations);
- Prior experience in operationalizing a compliance program including developing testing procedures, training, and managing third party relationships;
- Superior communication, organization, project management, and interpersonal skills with demonstrated decision-making capability while dealing with competing interests;
- Self-starter mentality with the ability to work well under pressure and a strong sense of personal accountability and ownership;
- Familiarity with NACHA (electronic payments) rules and regulations is a plus, as well as any technical knowledge because we work with many developers!
Diversity & Inclusion
Synctera is committed to having a workforce that is reflective of the diversity within the United States and Canada. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from candidates from underrepresented communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation and gender identity, and all those who can provide different perspectives and contribute to the diversification of Synctera.
- Medical, Dental and Vision PPO as well as supplementary secondary benefits
- Annual HCSA for individuals & families & 100% drug coverage - Canadian employees only
- 401(k) -US employees only
- Generous PTO
- Stock options
- Growth potential and opportunity to have a significant impact at an early stage of our company's journey
- Working with a team of rockstars (+ a weekly happy hour with the team!)
To all recruiters and recruitment agencies: Synctera does not accept unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or to Synctera employees without an active vendor agreement in place. Synctera is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.