Synchron is a clinical-stage endovascular brain computer interface (BCI) company. Since 2012, the company has been developing a BCI platform that avoids the need for open brain surgery by using a minimally-invasive procedure. The Synchron Switch™ BCI received FDA Breakthrough Device Designation in 2020, and is currently in human clinical trials in the US and Australia.
The company recently announced an oversubscribed $75 million Series C financing round led by ARCH Venture Partners, with participation from Gates Frontier, Bezos Expeditions and other top-tier investors. The funds will accelerate product development, facilitate commencement of a pivotal clinical trial, and advance Synchron towards a first-in-class BCI market approval for the treatment of paralysis.
The Synchron Switch™ brain computer interface is implanted in the blood vessel on the surface of the motor cortex of the brain via the jugular vein, through a minimally-invasive endovascular procedure. Once implanted, it is designed to detect and wirelessly transmit motor intent out of the brain, restoring a capability for severely paralyzed patients to control personal devices with hands-free point-and-click. Synchron is a dynamic, multi-disciplinary and rapidly growing team.
Join our mission of developing a first-in-class commercial BCI for more than 100 million people worldwide with upper limb impairment. Help people with previously untreatable conditions regain connection to the world.
Position description: R&D Technician – Neural Interfaces and Mechanical Systems (NIMS)
The successful candidate will join the NIMS team responsible for the development and testing of system components required to produce a commercial-ready Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) device. These system elements comprise of active implantable components and non-implantable elements that facilitate signal communication to everyday devices.
As a team member, this individual will contribute as part of a cross functional team to FDA submissions. The ideal candidate will have some experience working in a regulated industry, such as chronically active implanted medical devices.
This team member will work collaboratively with internal and external resources to drive on-schedule device testing. The team member will be central to maintenance of a world class R&D Lab used for the execution of design verification for complex medical devices. The team member will contribute to the development of test methods and fixtures used to execute these methods. Competency in 3D modelling (Solidworks or similar) is a bonus.
- Experience working in a hands-on engineering environment.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Keen interest in design iterations and improvements.
- Personal drive, adaptability, individual accountability, and a strong bias for action.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Collaborate in the assembly, modification, and troubleshooting of prototypes and experimental setups.
- Adhere to established protocols, quality standards, and regulatory guidelines to ensure the highest levels of product integrity and compliance.
- Maintain a well-organized and clean laboratory environment, including equipment calibration and maintenance.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, technological advancements, and regulatory changes related to medical device technology.
- Results-oriented with a combination of mental flexibility, creativity, analytical ability, and sound judgment.
Ideal Candidate Skillset
- 5+ years of relevant medical device or regulated industry experience.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including engineers, scientists, and designers, to contribute to the development of novel medical devices from concept to final products.
- Contribute to the design and fabrication of prototypes, ensuring accuracy and functionality in alignment with project goals.
- Execute rigorous testing and experimentation protocols to evaluate the performance, reliability, and safety of medical devices.
- Collect, analyse, and document experimental data, generating detailed reports that inform decision-making and drive product improvements.
- Assist in the identification and sourcing of materials, components, and technologies required for prototype development and testing.
Hourly Wage Range:
The hourly wage will differ based on successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.
$42.50 - $57.50 per hour.