Synchron is a clinical-stage endovascular brain computer interface (BCI) company. Since 2012, the company has been developing a BCI platform that avoids the need for open brain surgery by using a minimally-invasive procedure. The Synchron Switch™ BCI received FDA Breakthrough Device Designation in 2020, and is currently in human clinical trials in the US and Australia.
The company recently announced an oversubscribed $75 million Series C financing round led by ARCH Venture Partners, with participation from Gates Frontier, Bezos Expeditions and other top-tier investors. The funds will accelerate product development, facilitate commencement of a pivotal clinical trial, and advance Synchron towards a first-in-class BCI market approval for the treatment of paralysis.
The Synchron Switch™ brain computer interface is implanted in the blood vessel on the surface of the motor cortex of the brain via the jugular vein, through a minimally-invasive endovascular procedure. Once implanted, it is designed to detect and wirelessly transmit motor intent out of the brain, restoring a capability for severely paralyzed patients to control personal devices with hands-free point-and-click. Synchron is a dynamic, multi-disciplinary and rapidly growing team.
Join our mission of developing a first-in-class commercial BCI for more than 100 million people worldwide with upper limb impairment. Help people with previously untreatable conditions regain connection to the world.
We are looking for a highly motivated Systems Engineer to work in our New York City facility to develop requirements and designs, and to verify and validate system functions and effectiveness for devices that comprise Synchron’s Brain Computer Interface system. In this position you will:
- Attend technical coordination meetings
- Develop and review requirement specifications.
- Develop Integration and Verification Strategies and Protocols
- Plan and Conduct both Formative and Summative Validation Activities
- Development of Custom Test Fixtures and Equipment
- Development and Validation of In-Vitro Simulations of a Brain Electro-Physiologic environment
- Work in accordance with quality system procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree (or PhD) in Electrical, Systems, Biomedical Engineering or in a related scientific discipline
- Proficiency with Requirements Management Tools and Processes
- Proficiency with Document Control Methods and Practices
- Proficiency with Matlab, Python, or equivalent programming and data analysis tools
- 5-7 years of experience in development of test protocols
- 5-7 years of experience in development of medical product requirements
- Good familiarity with ISO-14708 and IEC-60601 standards.
- Experience developing and managing animal studies and participation and in clinical studies