Synchron is a clinical-stage endovascular brain computer interface (BCI) company. Since 2012, the company has been developing a BCI platform that avoids the need for open brain surgery by using a minimally-invasive procedure. The Synchron Switch™ BCI received FDA Breakthrough Device Designation in 2020, and is currently in human clinical trials in the US and Australia.
The company recently announced an oversubscribed $75 million Series C financing round led by ARCH Venture Partners, with participation from Gates Frontier, Bezos Expeditions and other top-tier investors. The funds will accelerate product development, facilitate commencement of a pivotal clinical trial, and advance Synchron towards a first-in-class BCI market approval for the treatment of paralysis.
The Synchron Switch™ brain computer interface is implanted in the blood vessel on the surface of the motor cortex of the brain via the jugular vein, through a minimally-invasive endovascular procedure. Once implanted, it is designed to detect and wirelessly transmit motor intent out of the brain, restoring a capability for severely paralyzed patients to control personal devices with hands-free point-and-click. Synchron is a dynamic, multi-disciplinary and rapidly growing team.
Join our mission of developing a first-in-class commercial BCI for more than 100 million people worldwide with upper limb impairment. Help people with previously untreatable conditions regain connection to the world.
We are growing the team that is building the software components of our Brain Computer Interface (BCI) system: Interpreting brain signals to control digital devices essential to daily life in the 21st century.
Our software team is a small group of talented and experienced individuals developing high quality software. In this role, you will report to the Director of Software writing software in Python under an Agile process for developing commercial medical device software.
The role will be focused on back-end python development and will require a strong python background.
- Have a strong understanding of multiprocessing and threading. Specifically, when and where to use each approach, how to pass information and handle errors within a network of threads/processes.
- Be familiar with real-time exchange of time-series between applications, namely ensuring they’re appropriately synchronized and processed at the correct intervals.
- Have experience with basic data analysis practices. Common Python libraries involved are numpy, scipy, pandas, scikit-learn, tensorflow/pytorch. Should be comfortable working with arrays and basic array manipulation.
- Be comfortable debugging in a highly parallelized / non-linear system. Our software is dynamically structured, recursively executed and graph-based; debugging is non-trivial.
- Be familiar with code quality / deployment practices. For example, setting up multifaceted automated tests (pytest, ideally understanding fixtures and monkey patching), static typing (mypy), working with Docker, etc.
We are a lean, fast-paced, passionate team pushing the boundaries of what is possible in the neurotech space to dramatically improve the quality of life for millions of people globally: We want you to join us.
- Act as a liaison to our neuroscience team translating research-driven improvements into our commercial products.
- Develop features in python to maximize effectiveness of BCI
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering or equivalent experience
- 5 years of advanced Python development experience
- Comfort working in an Agile software development environment and holding oneself accountable
- Commitment to development of high quality documentation, requirements and software verification tests
- Ability to lead others in Python development and testing best practices
- Experience with large datasets
- Experience developing software for regulated medical devices especially for submission to the FDA under the IEC 62304 standard
Expected salary range $127k-$156k