HARDWARE SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT
If you aim to drive the development of innovative hardware systems from concept definition through production release, Synapse Product Development is interested in talking to you. Your primary focus would be to cultivate a deep understanding of the system-level impacts of product design choices and exercise good judgment in communicating and navigating those tradeoffs. You would be responsible for overseeing all aspects of a product development effort as it moves from early systems architecture and proof of concept to a bespoke mature design that is ready for production, manufacturing, assembly, and testing.
In this role, you would be reviewing, challenging, and influencing system performance decisions while providing technical leadership to a cross-functional engineering team. A successful candidate can act situationally and employ their broad domain experience with flexibility in approach and not perform a pre-defined set of engineering tasks across all projects. You would have the agency to balance the following responsibilities for maximum contributing impact:
- Work cooperatively with our Mechanical, Firmware, Software, Electrical, and NPI engineers to craft a development proposal tailor-made to a client’s specific product
- Develop and maintain strong commercial relationships with senior client stakeholders to communicate Synapse's value to clients, enable further opportunities, and ensure alignment with client needs
- Propose and negotiate exploratory architectures and early prototypes that can be realized with the resources and timeframes necessary to meet program objectives
- Analyze engineering and business tradeoffs to decide which potential solutions to further investigate—which could involve modeling, simulation, prototyping, and testing
- Ensure success of product assembly builds and manufacturing processes in coordination with our New Product Introduction engineers
- Expand Synapse’s core offering by building a new engineering capability based on your area of expertise—whether in embedded systems, electromechanics, novel sensors, automation, computing, etc.
A Little About You
In order to thrive as a Hardware Solutions Architect, you should demonstrate a passion for successfully architecting and implementing sophisticated products or ecosystems; have a talent for critical thinking and leading problem-solving efforts; possess the know-how for developing relationships with clients; and maintain a high standard of technical project planning and team coordination.
- 10+ years of strong hands-on experience performing system analysis, scoping, resourcing, and technical tradeoff evaluations
- Significant skill in decision-making, project planning, and communication within a multidisciplinary team developing challenging physical hardware
- Proven history of driving engineering requirements, meeting compliance standards, and tracking technology de-risking efforts over a product development cycle
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical engineering discipline to facilitate the mix of deep technical knowledge along with your expertise in analytical thinking.
A Little About Us
Synapse Product Development works with the world’s leading brands and most ambitious startups to bring to market products and technologies that have a positive impact on people and our planet. Our team of engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals tackle seemingly impossible technical challenges for our clients and bring cutting-edge solutions to reality. We work on a variety of projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
Synapse's San Francisco site features world-class engineering lab spaces while offering proximity to transit as well as the amenities of the vibrant SoMa neighborhood. Virtually when we must and in person when we can, our project teams, departments and disciplines, and the entire office regularly come together to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges.
Synapse is an Equal Opportunity Employer (“EOE”). We value diversity and strive to promote an inclusive culture. We are committed to a work environment that respects and supports individuals and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.