Symbiont is the enterprise fintech company creating the next generation of financial markets infrastructure using blockchain technology. Assembly™, Symbiont’s enterprise blockchain platform, creates efficiencies, eliminates manual data replication and reconciliation processes, and enables real-time data sharing with complete privacy. Headquartered in New York City, Symbiont is led by a team of experts in capital markets and blockchain technology.
Assembly is distinguished from other distributed ledger platforms by its focus on confidentiality without sacrifice of network decentralization or consistency guarantees. By layering state machine replication on top of a Byzantine fault-tolerant consensus protocol we're able to create an infrastructure with no central authority, allowing real time sharing of data and application logic between mutually distrusting parties. On top of Assembly, Symbiont has built end-to-end solutions in multiple areas such as data management, mortgage servicing, fixed income, commodities, and alternative assets.
As we continue to deploy our core platform in production, there is ongoing work to improve scalability, robustness, and to expand the feature set. Every engineer has the opportunity to provide significant impact through technical insight and leadership. Assembly draws from cutting edge research in the fields of distributed systems, cryptography, and programming language theory and applies it to solve real world problems on rapid timelines. This makes Symbiont an exciting and intellectually stimulating place to work.
What You'll Do
A Symbiont Platform Engineer works to build and optimize the Assembly platform. During the interview process we'll find a fit appropriate to your expertise from the areas below:
- Implementing a robust byzantine fault tolerant consensus protocol, and supporting its production deployment in mission critical systems.
- Designing security-critical software leveraging state-of-the-art cryptographic protocols.
- Applying programming language theory to building a modern, performant, and secure language for smart contract programming.
- Building an ecosystem of developer tooling that make it a joy to author and support smart contracts, from initial design to production debugging.
- Parallelizing and scaling transaction processing to enable large-scale applications on a blockchain platform.
- Architecting the fit of the services comprising an Assembly node and adhering to modern best practices around security, deployment, and observability.
- Building tooling to support developer workflows, from one-command full system test runs and CI/CD pipelines to scale test frameworks and cloud developer environments.
We make heavy use of a variety of technologies such as:
- Languages: Go, Haskell, Python and TypeScript.
- Build Tooling: Bazel, CircleCI
- Infrastructure: GCP, AWS, Azure, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Postgres, Datadog, Honeycomb
- Testing Methodologies: Property Based, Jepsen, Lineage-Driven Fault Injection
- We are currently hiring at a variety of experience levels. While expertise relevant to the above domains and technologies is not required, it is a plus for more experienced candidates.
- Adaptable and willing to pivot as needed to build the Assembly platform.
- We're a fully distributed company spread over multiple continents. This means a heavy focus on written collaboration and video meetings, with occasional time zone flexibility.
- Growth mindset - we are not just hiring for now we are hiring for who you can become.
- Strong programming skills in at least one language and experience with modern software development tooling and workflows.
- At least one year of professional experience in industry or academia.
Symbiont.io is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities unbiased of race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. In addition, Symbiont.io considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.