sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
We are building our collective digital, data, and technology team to deliver thoughtfully designed, data-driven customer experience and internal operations.
We are seeking a Database Architect to provide critical support to the business as we undergo a wholesale digital transformation. The opportunity to build, integrate, and manage a fast-growing company’s internal and external data warehouse environment – all for the mission of feeding more people better food – should excite you. You will use your comprehensive vision for sweetgreen’s data infrastructure to guide and unite the organization in its consumption of quality data, helping to deliver our strategic goals.
The Database Architect is responsible for fostering a holistic understanding of sweetgreen’s data ecosystem and deploying + maintaining critical ETL and warehousing solutions that support our strategic decision making and promote data adoption across the company. From our customer-facing digital team to our back of house operations team, you will create data solutions that make easy the search for actionable business insight and the creation of essential operational tools. This role is for you if you love collaboration, excel at end-to-end solution architecting and implementation, and have the business acumen and technical skills to make the two line up.
- Set up database clusters, backup, and recovery processes
- Architect, manage and maintain ETL processes for source system integrations
- Create and enforce database development standards
- Design databases to support business applications, ensuring system scalability, security, performance and reliability
- Demonstrate database technical proficiency in the areas of performance, security and reliability functionality
- Document and communicate database schemas, using accepted notations
- Develop or maintain archived procedures, procedural codes, or queries for applications
- Develop load-balancing processes to eliminate down time for backup processes
- Develop data models for applications, metadata tables, views or related database structures
- Design database applications, such as interfaces, data transfer mechanisms, global temporary tables, data partitions, and function-based indexes to enable efficient access of the generic database structure.
- Monitor and report systems resource consumption trends to assure production systems meet availability requirements and hardware enhancements are scheduled appropriately
- Collaborate with program manager, BI architect, analysts, leadership and key stakeholders to understand business requirements
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in data management roles with focus on database and analytics systems development and deployment, IT systems and engineering, security and compliance, etc
- 8+ years experience with SQL. Experience with Amazon Redshift a plus.
- 8+ years Data ETL (SQL, Python, Java, Ruby)
- Experience using and developing within cloud-based data environments to drive complex analytical projects (Hadoop, AWS, Azure)
- Implementation and tuning experience with big data ecosystems (Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Hive, etc), traditional database systems (Oracle, mysql, postgres, etc), and general data warehousing (Redshift, Teradata, schema design, etc)
- Track record of implementing database services in a variety of business environments such as large enterprises and start-ups
- Ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in business environment
- Restaurant or retail experience with specific proficiency in software development lifecycle process and structured IT methodologies a plus
- Interest and dedication to the healthy food revolution a plus
- A passionate, fun, and positive work environment, with a welcoming and supportive team
- Competitive pay and bonus plan – employees are rewarded for both personal and company-wide performance
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- Dog-friendly office
- Mobile phone reimbursement
- Free sweetgreen gear and tenure rewards through our ‘shades of green’ program.
- And of course… complimentary fresh food from sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!