Value Chain Engineer
sweetgreen – Los Angeles, California
The Value Chain Engineer has four main responsibilities:
- Cost Analysis & Modeling: Accountable for predicting upcoming the food costs by region as well as nationally for seasonal time frames. A long-term costing model should be presented based on sweetgreen’s value chain sourcing strategy. New prices and sustainable programs would need to be thoughtfully analyzed before launching. Additionally, understanding the impact of yields by SKU and by source is key. The impact of the menu purchasing mix should also be considered.
- Product Support: Responsible for building and updating all necessary forecasts to support the sweetgreen Value Chain Coordinators (VCCs) and vendors. These forecasts would allow the VCC’s to successfully coordinate current seasonal purchases and then crop plan for upcoming seasons. Gaining compliance for our grower’s food safety standards and traceability programs by creating a systematic approach would be owned by the Value Chain Engineer.
- Ingredient Specification Champion: Owner of all product specifications across all platforms (ERP, RFP tools, and traceability software) to ensure sweetgreen gets the expected food consistently in each store. The Value Chain Engineer would work with the F&B team to create and uphold all specifications and then confirm them with the VCC’s in the field.
- Food & Grower Ethos System Ownership: sweetgreen uses two internal grading systems to guide decision making around selecting growing partners and ingredients. As complexity continues to build in our supply chain, more sophisticated tools will need to be built to accurately score our food and grower ethos systems.
- Desire to build an unparalleled food supply chain that supports farmers, sweetgreen, and our customers
- Demonstrate a willingness to relentlessly pursue the mission
- Place the team’s success before individual accolades
- Ability to connect with both internal customers (F&B, finance, impact, operations) as well as external customers (growers and farmers)
- Supreme attention to details
- Confidence in analytical skills to provide clean and applicable data
Some Expected 2017 Deliverables
- A robust predictive food cost model as it pertains to COGS
- On demand forecasts for VCCs, distributors, and vendors
- Ingredient specification process implementation
- Accurate food & grower ethos monthly update
- Two years or more of supply chain experience, ERPs, and operational methodologies
- Four-year degree with business, mathematics, logistics, or supply chain focus
- Advanced Excel skills
- Two years or more of experience using SQL
- Two years or more of predictive modeling and logistic regression
sweetgreen is a seasonal fast-casual restaurant company on a mission to change the way people think about food. With a strong sense of passion and purpose, we’re working to revolutionize our industry and the food system. We make delicious, real food from scratch in our kitchens every day, which supports local farmers and helps us create authentic, meaningful connections with our guests.