The Construction Manager (CM) acts as Project Manager for designated new locations throughout multiple regions while performing additional tasks such as minor Facilities remodels, onsite evaluation for quality assurance, and minor Construction/Facilities budget forecasting. The CM is in the field approximately 30 hours per week visiting site construction projects and Facilities remodel projects for multiple regions. The CM is mentored and developed by the Director of Construction over time to learn all aspects of the sweetgreen Construction process.
The Construction Manager has the following main responsibilities:
- Supporting the Director of Construction as Construction/Facilities site supervisor/project manager.
- Consulting with the field construction team to improve sweetgreen’s execution, scheduling, and cost control(s).
- With guidance from the Director of Construction, ensuring General Contractor (GC) resources are meeting/exceeding budget requirements for new construction projects and Facilities refresh/remodels.
- Negotiating scope and fees of services with independent outsource Construction Management vendors as directed by Director of Construction.
- Practicing brand stewardship by modeling a positive attitude regarding brand development, motivating and leading construction partners, and advocating the sweetlife.
- Promoting brand identity by assuring quality of fit and finish, adherence to specifications and standards, compliance with required construction timeframes and approved budgets; and assisting in pre-opening marketing efforts.
- Working with the Director of Construction to ensure high standards of GC’s by implementing best practices and other programs to improve overall construction discipline and better understand/track market construction cost trends.
- Maintaining and driving high standards and expectations around Facilities projects, interaction with restaurant staff, and vendor relationships.
- Engaging in clear, consistent communications with the treehouse, Operations, restaurant staff, landlords, and other Development staff on a frequent basis: demonstrating respect for all disciplines.
- Ensuring the compliance of outside vendors with regard to billing, payments, submittal of required documents, and all construction related documentation during the course of projects – including project close out.
- Ability to identify top performers, develop great leaders, ensure high standards, and remove obstacles
- A commitment to learning the sweetgreen business and to the company’s culture and values
- A mentality of ownership and accountability
- Top performer with great mentoring/leadership abilities to drive results and growth
- Able to provide instructive suggestions/input for improving all aspects of the construction process while working cross-functionally with different disciplines of the organization.
- Intermediate/expert user of Excel, Word, MS Project, Powerpoint, etc.
- Proven Construction experience in the capacity of Site Supervisor, Project Manager or Owners Representative
- Ability to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) of the construction industry.
- Ability to read, coordinate and understand construction documents/specifications. Apply these in the field as they relate to actual installation means and methods.
- Potential and desire to be develop and grow into Senior Construction Manager role through mentoring and leadership of Director of Construction
- Possess strong supervisory and organizational skills
- Experience planning/arranging travel efficiently
sweetgreen is a seasonal fast-casual restaurant company on a mission to change the way people think about food. With a strong sense of passion and purpose, we’re working to revolutionize our industry and the food system. We make delicious, real food from scratch in our kitchens every day, which supports local farmers and helps us create authentic, meaningful connections with our guests.