sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
The Food Safety Manager is responsible for providing food safety and quality leadership and instruction to all Sweetgreen locations on the West Coast, Mid-West, Boston and new markets. The position drives food safety and quality at a local level and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, customer expectations, and third-party audit standards.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s of Science Degree; preference will be given to candidates with degrees in Food Science, Microbiology, Biological Science, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the food industry; experience in a Food Safety or Quality Assurance position a plus.
- Food service experience required.
- Knowledge and understanding of pathogens and microbes associated with food production and food microbiological testing.
- Knowledge of HACCP, SOP’s, and government/industry food safety and quality regulations, codes, and standards.
- Knowledge and understanding of food safety and quality assurance principles, root cause analysis strategies, and continuous process improvement.
- Proven manager; capable of coaching, developing, motivating.
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and orally.
- Team player who demonstrates initiative and integrity while being able to work with little supervision.
- Travel requirements – approx. 50-75%, subject to change.
- Provide food safety support and drive performance improvement for all Sweetgreen locations on the East Coast.
- Maintain open communication with all departments to address the identification of food safety and quality issues and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with applicable food safety regulatory requirements (Federal, State, and Local).
- Manage the third party audit program for the restaurants, evaluate performance and drive improvements through the operation.
- Review reports regarding regulatory, customer, internal and third party audits, sanitation violations, customer complaints, pest control, temperature monitoring and ensure corrective actions completed and recorded on a timely basis.
- Collect, trend, and analyze food safety and quality performance and prepare reports to evaluate the local unit’s compliance and overall performance.
- Keep up to date with government regulations, industry best practices and food safety and quality advancements.
- Develop relationship with local health departments and provide guidance to operators regarding violations and requests.
- Project manage development of SOPs, training materials, crisis management.
- Project manage food safety initiatives from concept through to launch.
- Provide food safety guidance for store design, store development and refits and NROs.
- Manage vendor relationships and contracts for pest control.
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.