Summary: As a captain, you will assist the head coach by leading and coaching the team in at least one of the core areas of the restaurant (e.g., service, kitchen, online ordering). You will be responsible for the day-to-day operations during your shift, which may include leading a team and managing the kitchen, customer experience, and/or online ordering. You will be responsible for modeling and acting in accordance with sweetgreen’s mission and core values.
Core Work Activities
Food Journey Management:
- Ensures the delivery of quality products (e.g., salads, bowls, attachments) that meet and exceed customers’ expectations by regularly tasting food, providing feedback, and taking immediate action when food quality does not meet expectations
- Identifies and communicates gaps in the food journey and follows up with store leadership as needed
- Ensures all food safety practices are consistently followed in accordance with company guidelines
- Communicates opportunities and other information to store leadership
- Communicates store goals + focuses during sweet talks
- Executes store operations and operational tools during scheduled shifts
- Organizes opening and closing duties as assigned
- Ensures facilities, store technology, and systems are running properly and takes immediate action (e.g., escalate to head coach, contact treehouse support) to resolve when necessary
- Runs shifts in absence of Head Coach
- Anticipates customer and restaurant needs by constantly evaluating environment and customers for cues
- Ensures a clean and presentable lobby, front line, restrooms, and outside seating (if applicable)
- Ensures the delivery of safe, healthy, and presentable food for our customers
Team Member Support:
- Provides clear, specific, timely, and respectful coaching and feedback to ensure operational excellence and improve team member performance
- Adjusts team member deployment daily as necessary to meet business needs
- Ensures team and guest safety by following operational policies and procedures (e.g., knife handling standards, food safety guidelines)
- Provides feedback to head coach on team member performance during shift
- Assists with new team member training by leveraging company training and validation tools
- Recognizes and reinforces individual and team accomplishments by using existing organizational tools and programs as well as by finding new, creative and effective methods of recognition
- Creates a positive work environment in line with our mission + values
- Ability to build relationships with customers, team members, and leadership
- Ability to communicate and understand written and verbal information effectively
- Ability to direct the work of others
- Ability to use and learn new technology and systems
- Ability to quickly manage various types of situations and crises
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity
- Food Handler Certificate, ServSafe as required by city or state
- Knowledge of food safety practices
- Knowledge of the restaurant industry
- Planning and organizational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Visually verifies information
- Sees details at a close range (within a few feet).
- Reads information, sometimes in small print.
- Enters and locates information on electronic systems, such as computers and tablets.
- Reaches for products and tools, extending hands and arms in any direction.
- Stands for sustained periods of time.
- Walks, moves about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Lifts objects that are 10 lbs or more from lower to higher positions.
- Repetitive motion, substantial movements of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Subject to exposure to cleaning chemicals.
- Kneels, bends, or crouches to access low spaces.
- Functions in narrow aisles or passageways.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
The schedule can vary weekly (e.g., including nights, weekends, and holidays).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.