sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
PRODUCT DESIGNER OVERVIEW
We are seeking a motivated and passionate Visual Design-focused Product Designer to join the team at Sweetgreen. This role plays a key role in designing intuitive experiences tailored to meet the needs of a diverse set of customers and SG personnel who cross channels, time, and physical space. Additionally, the Product Design role must evolve and maintain a flexible design system that accommodates ever-growing contexts. We follow Human Centered Design methodologies, which rely on collaboration between engineers, product managers, UX Designers, store designers, and others, therefor empathy, patience and clear communication are integral to success.
Sweetgreen is a mission-driven company and the Digital Product team upholds that with our core principles: Be honest; Communicate well and often; Be a servant leader; Be an entrepreneur.
Design Thinking: User Centered Design methodologies are required to solve our digital <> physical problems. Ability to design from the inside out by applying an understanding of business problems, technology capabilities.
Systematic Design: Product Designers must balance Creative and Systematic thinking to solve design problems. As our feature set grows in different forms we must maintain a consistent and recognizable design system.
Collaboration: Collaboration is the foundation of our process. Product Designers must be able to influence project outcomes through confident recommendations and presentation/communication style, while maintaining healthy internal relationships through authentic collaboration.
Project Planning: Organizational skills are a required to help plan, estimate and prioritize tasks.
Innovation: Inspires respective workstreams & Product Design team with industry trends, insights, and non-roadmap ideas.
- Understanding of appropriate tasks required to solve specific problems, i.e. For project x the needs are: Reference audit, User Flow, Wireframes, Detailed UI Design, Prototype & User-Testing, etc...
- Lead Design execution for projects, from helping facilitate brainstorms through QA and evaluating user response. Including, but not limited to: High fidelity wireframes, user flows, detailed UI design, motion design, prototyping, logo explorations
- Collaborating closely with Product Managers, engineers and other stakeholders in planning, during execution, and post-launch to ensure the execution solves business goals and satisfies the user
- May involve management and mentorship of more junior Product Designers
- Lead estimation, project planning (from a Design perspective), and can orchestrate design reviews
- Evaluating ROI of time/effort regarding project prioritization
- Introducing new opportunities outside of a prescribed briefed to your project team and Product Design team, leveraging emerging technologies, design and interaction trends.
- Being a fierce customer advocate
- Presenting work with qualitative & quantitative rationale, to stakeholders and leadership team in a clear and convincing way.
- Strong presentation and communication skills (written, verbal and visual)
- Experience designing a variety of UX & Visual Design artifacts, such as: ecosystems, flows, wireframes, detailed UI, prototypes, etc...
- Experience planning and estimating work
- Entrepreneurial mindset with solid organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of User Centered Design principles and methodologies.
- Fluency in industry best practices such as Sketch, Jira, usertesting platforms such as Usertesting.com, prototyping tools such as Invision, Principle, Proto.io, etc…
- Experience prototyping in code or using programs like Proto.io, Principle, Pixate, Invision, or similar
- Outstanding portfolio of related work
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 2-5+yrs Agency, consulting or In-house experience. Ideally both.
- Bachelor's degree (Master’s preferred) in design-related discipline: Interaction, Information or Interface design; Industrial or product design; HCI; Design Planning; Graphic Design; Communications.
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.