sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
We are seeking a Senior Manager of Food Safety.
As a Senior Manager of Food Safety, you will lead a team focused on guiding quality and food safety efforts across all sweetgreen locations and concepts. You will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing the Food Safety programs and strategy in accordance with sweetgreen policies, federal, state and local regulations.
The right person for this role is a proven leader with experience influencing across an organization, is an excellent communicator, sets a high bar for him/herself, and is adept at developing talent. If you are someone who thrives in a critical leadership position and gains personal satisfaction when sharing knowledge and cross collaborating, then this is a great role for you.
What you’ll do
- Collaborates with Supply Chain, Operations and Learning & Development, Legal, Risk Management and Public Relations on emerging food safety concerns, crisis events and current industry issues
- Develops and executes a comprehensive Food Safety & Quality strategy that drives exceptional food safety compliance and establishes quality as a competitive advantage
- Performs food safety audits in restaurants while offering coaching and training for our head coaches
- Directs and supports approval of new and/or alternate suppliers of food products and food packaging with respect to food safety, quality attributes and product consistency
- Educates the organization on current food safety technology, understanding food safety trends and seeing their impact on the company’s strategy
- Partners closely with the Culinary Team, to approve, support and define critical parameters, process methods and organoleptic criteria for product specifications
- Contributes food safety and quality expertise to new product development efforts to ensure safe food handling procedures
- Anticipates and analyzes trends and issues to drive corrective actions and continuous improvement among vendors •
- Responsible for Product Withdrawal and Recall Program. Initiates and assists in the monitoring and resolution of product recalls and/or withdrawals
- Maintains knowledge of food safety and quality, regulatory requirements including, but not limited to HACCP, FSMA, GMP, FDA Model Food Code for food manufacturing, food products, packaging, distribution and food service operations
- Serves as a liaison with regulatory officials for compliance with local, state, and federal regulations
- Advanced ability to communicate, influence and negotiate decisions while motivating staff
What you’ll bring to the table
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Safety or related field
- Must have restaurant and/or plant QA experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in food service and food manufacturing leadership role
- Preferred MBA or MS in Food Science, Food Safety or related field
- Ability to communicate effectively with subordinates and upper levels of leadership
- Team Leadership experience
- Must have both a mentoring and investigative mind
- Proven ability to strategize and get out in front of trends and issues
- Strong knowledge of quality systems and be innovative with them as the industry changes
- Thorough knowledge of legal procedures with food safety and environmental policies
- Certified in HACCP, ServSafe
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.