Company Overview: Sustainment is a company whose products enable US-based manufacturers to confidently build and manage vetted domestic supplier networks, with modern tools to find, communicate, collaborate with, and manage qualified manufacturing suppliers. Our vision is to reimagine the American manufacturing base as a hyperconnected, secure, and resilient ecosystem of local and regional suppliers who can more easily interact and transact with the government and industry organizations that rely on them. As a public benefit corporation, we are committed to a mission-driven approach that will enable continued success for American industry.
Job Overview: The Senior Data Scientist will apply AI, machine learning, image processing, statistical models, and other algorithms to modernize the procurement process in mechanical manufacturing. Strong relevant computer science knowledge, practical computer programming skills, and successful production project delivery experience are required.
- Work with subject matter experts and product managers to define new features and functions that can be automated with artificial intelligence to assist buyers and manufacturers of mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Design, code, test, and document data science software modules – typically in Python – while leading a highly-collaborative, distributed R&D team. Typical examples include:
- Automated interpretation of two-dimensional mechanical drawings
- Neural networks to capture expert knowledge about metal machining and other mechanical fabrication
- Ranking algorithms for finding the best manufacturers to make specific parts and assemblies
- Image processing to clean up raster-scanned technical drawings
- Automated interpretation of 3D CAD files (STEP standard)
- Technical project leadership, including ability to develop work breakdown structure, labor estimation, and risk assessment of data science projects in collaboration with product management
- Mentor data scientists in accomplishing the responsibilities listed above.
- Keep abreast of Industry 4.0 and AI/ML trends and look for opportunities to enhance Sustainment products using artificial intelligence.
- 10+ years of experience in commercial or industrial data science work, including at least one example of a substantial application delivered into large-scale production
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience requiring substantial application of data science skills
- Demonstrated ability to design, code, test, and document substantial software modules in Python
- Evidence of creative ability to apply AI, machine learning, statistics, computer vision, image processing and other algorithms in innovative ways
- Preferred: mechanical engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Preferred: formal training in project management
Sustainment offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, company holidays, and 401K matching.
Sustainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Applicants must be authorized to work for ANY employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
Sustainment participates in E-Verify.